PDA

View Full Version : Hydrotherepy

harleyfarley
15th March 2009, 01:56 PM
My vet has suggested this for helping get Harley weight down, as you may know he has hip dysplacia and needs a hip replacement, has anyone tried this is it worth the money, the vet seems to think so, its an independent clinic that only takes dogs on vet referral. di

arasara
15th March 2009, 02:09 PM
I haven't done hydrotherapy with an actual facility, but was encouraged to do it when Kosmo had his knee surgery. I got him a lifejacket, filled up the tub full of water, and put him in.. held the lifejacket by the handle (so that his legs didn't touch the bottom of my small tub :rolleyes:) and he went to town. It didn't take long to make him tired, but it seemed to help? ;)

Good luck! :thmbsup:

MadPip
15th March 2009, 03:22 PM
Hi, I haven't taken any of my dogs to hydrotherapy, but a lady at training has a miniature schnauzer (I hope I've spelt that right:xfngr:) with severe HD in one hip. He was scheduled to have a femoral head osteotomy, and started hydrotherapy before so he would be used to it, as the vet recommended it for the post-op rehab period. This little lad then went in for his operation, and his owner was surprised to receive a phone call to say they weren't going to do it that day. Why? Because his movement in that leg was so much improved after 4 sessions of hydrotherapy, he no longer limped, and the vet surgeon (orthopaedic) felt that rather than rush in to do what is quite major surgery, it would be worth continuing the hydrotherapy (and pain-killers) and see how he got on. Now the little lad has built up all the muscle round the affected hip that he had previously lost. In fact, looking at him from behind you wouldn't easily spot which hip is affected. He's due to go back for re-assessment in May. He hasn't limped recently, and although exercised on-lead for the most part, had been allowed short periods of off-lead exercise as long as he doesn't go mad.
I guess my point is, it's a good exercise for weight loss, not least because it is non-weight bearing, so not as hard on the joints. Also it may help with his existing HD, and if he goes on to have a hip replacement having a well-muscled joint should help in the post-op rehabilitation. I would go for it if I were you. :thmbsup:

brotymo
15th March 2009, 03:26 PM
I know I am speaking from the position of a person, here, but exercise can stave off surgery. It did for a bum knee I have. I went in for a torn meniscus several years ago and lots of pain in my knee. The doc suggested surgery or trying exercise for a while. I began weight training (after having taken a few years off) and my knee pain was eliminated within a few weeks. That lasted me for 3 whole years! I ultimately did have to get surgery on the knee, but not as soon as I had thought.

harleyfarley
16th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Well he is booked in for three sessions at £20 for three minutes a time, for the next two weeks, she spoke to my vet who said that harleys nearly down to what he would expect him to weigh, but he has a lot of muscle wasteage on that hip, and building up a good amout of muscle is imperritive. Ive to make an appointment to see him after his six sessions of hydrotherepy to see how he is doing.