• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs In Cars

vicarrieous

I know that there has been some discussion on how to properly travel with your dogs in the car and I am looking for some suggestions. We recently (yesterday) bought a VW Jetta wagon which I LOVE! One main reason is that my hubby and I both had fairly sporty 2 door cars (we are kidless except for our furbabies lol) and I have always wanted a car with a little more room for the doglets. My question is now, how do we best keep the dogs safe while in my new car? We used to use a harness that attached to a seatbelt but I would like to have them ride in the far back now to keep my seats open. What is the best way to do this? Tether down a kennel in back? Let them be free? That doesnt sound safe to me but I havent ever had such a versatile vehicle!

I have a large SUV and I always travel with mine in a Vari Kennel (a hard plastic crate) in the very back of my car. They share the crate and seem to be comfortable. I feel this is the safest way for us to travel with them; if we were to get into an accident they would be contained in a very sturdy crate and they wouldn't be able to escape and get hurt. I would not travel with them loose in the car, and in my opinion, having them contained in the Vari Kennel is much safer than just putting them in a harness in the back seat. Congrats on the new car, hope that helps!

Carrie, what size Vari kennel do you use? I am thinking of getting one and also have two cavs to transport together.

We have the Atlas 80 for our hatchback cars which is great and the dogs don't mind it but I have never found a way of strapping it down securely. I think I'll look into that now while I'm online. It also worries me that someone might run into the back of the car squashing the crate :(

Back