• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

opinion sought please

sarahso

Im after your opinions really.

i have two akita dogs, one male one female both neutered & very well behaved.
i have for some time been on the rescue lists for a cavalier in my area, i also check the websites of different rescues regularly for a cavalier, i am wanting to adopt a pretty young one ie. under 12 months for what i think is a good reason, dogs that come into rescue sometimes have issues, i would not want to add to their distress by being rehomed with large dogs they may possibly fear. i am also open to adopting a cavy with health issues ie. blind deaf etc.

i work part time 8 - 3 my partner is at home all day & is out in the evenings & weeekends when i am home.
I also attend training wih my dogs each week - this is ongoing as my trainer very kindly offered to be my mentor and i am learning a lot from her! the dogs are never left for more than a couple of hours at a time. if we were lucky enough to adopt a cavalier we would never leave him/her in a room with my two big dogs - just as a matter of precaution. Oh i was also brought up with cavaliers too, so though not an expert by any means do have an idea of what they are like (adorable!)

every rescue & dog i have asked about i am just getting a blank no we dont rehome with akitas they are two big/not good etc or one today that i asked about, that had been brought up with other dogs was a no she is not used to dogs!! i did question this and had the conversation abruptly ended!

can i have your honest opinions of whether you would think im suitable please?

thanks for your replies!:)

Yes i am listed with them & enquired about quite a few! they are the only ones that have not said an outright no! or ignored me but obviously we have to wait for a dog that we are suitable for to become available.

i keep checking!:)

i know one day if im lucky a dog will come along who we as a family are right for, i just find it so frustrating when i am met by blanks soon as i explain what breed dogs i already have.

Don't give up hope - I've recently adopted a Cavalier through Many Tears (had a few problems with their inflexible demands, but they do a great job for ex-breeding dogs) who is now 21 months and copes amazingly well with everything. He was about 18 months when he went to the rescue - a bit older than you want, but still young enough to be able to grow out of his bad beginnings. He gets a lot of confidence from my older Cavalier - but he is rather nervous around bigger dogs, simply because he's never seen any before, which is something to bear in mind in your situation. My Aled is like an inexperienced young puppy, who also would not have met big dogs - and like a puppy, I just have to give him time to get used to new things and plenty of reassurance. He was fine with a couple of labradors in the park yesterday, so he's gradually getting there!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back