• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food related toys

Ciren

still having no luck convincing Peaches to play with balls etc, so i was wondering apart from the obvious kong and treatball is there anything else i can give her?

she will have a kind of affectionate play with me (i must look very silly on the floor with her, play bowing etc) apart from that nowt. i have even tried a minty flavoured rope toy and a rope toy soaked in oxo.

Had the same issues with Lady - she has no interest in kongs, treat dispensers, balls, squeaker toys, etc - ended up giving them away. What finally worked are the hide-a-toys - I break up her treats and hide them amongst the balls and squirrels/bees. I do the same thing with her egg babies (stuffed animals with eggs hidden in them). She has absolutely no interest in the toys themselves but has a blast trying to find the hidden treats.

Kizzy doesn't understand food toys either! But the advice about hiding toys sounds good. We also found that Kizzy liked having a "surrogate puppy" - just a small fluffy toy. At first, she just had it with her, but then when we threw it (I know, it must seem awful from her point of view!!) she would run and get it. Combined with watching our other dogs play, she will pretty much play fetch now! Good luck, I hope you find something that interests Peaches!

Some dogs like a bigger toy they can hump. Ilsa loves her sealie - she picked it out herself in the store one christmas.

Jen and Ilsa

Mindy never ever played with toys until we got Max. Now she doesn't really play with them but she will take them and "hatch" them which has what I am sure is the desired effect of driving Max crazy!

My Saba doesn't like any toys either but to keep him amused we get a toy (of any sort) and rub peanut butter on it or any spread for him. He loves it and spends hours trying to get every drop off....

Ruby won't play with any toys either! we must have tried nearly all of them by now & ive ended up giving them away except the 4 cuddly toys in our front room that are completely ignored. she was terrified of the treat ball-ran a mile to get away from it poor lass. for 2 weeks i took "pinky bone" on every walk, a soft plastic bright pink thing which i had smothered in peanut butter before we went out! if i put it down in front of her she happily licked at it but move it 1/2 an inch away-forget it!! i did read somewhere that if they havnt learnt to play with toys upto 14weeks old they never would, has any one else heard that?
i really like that idea about hiding treats, im going to give that a try

Last edited:
Back