• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

fleas

pippa

I just wanted to ask a question about fleas.

Mine have never had them and I used to give advantage every three months but stopped a couple of years ago as Pippin licks the other dogs.

I now use tea tree oil and put a drop on the back of their neck every six weeks or so.

I am worried now that this may not be enough with the weather getting warmer each year.

What do you folks think? Do I need to use a flea treatment on them?

I would say that if what you're doing is working, carry on with it. You could always bath them with a flea shampoo if you're worried they may have some, then comb them through. After all, it's what we all did before the spot-on treatments were invented, and it did work (or at least it did for my previous dogs!) :) Also, think about treating your house (carpets, soft furnishings, dog bedding etc) so if the dogs do bring any little pests in they don't live in the house and re-infest the animals.

I hardly ever use conventional flea treatments as I hate all the nasty chemicals in them - but I will use them if I have to kennel the dogs.

I give my two garlic & fenugreek tablets every day & I bath them in pennyroyal shampoo (both from www.dorwest.com) & I can honestly say I cant remember the last time I saw a flea - is over 5 years though as Ive never seen one on them since I moved to Ireland 5 years ago!

:updte:

Hi, I was with the vet this morning and I asked him what he thought.

He said that they would really only pick up fleas if they went to grooming parlors etc. which they don't. He also said that the tea tree oil may help but he wouldn't fully trust it.

He suggested I think about using the advantage in the summer months and just keep Pippin from licking the other dogs just after I have applied it.

I looked up advantage and it says to use it monthly.
I would be a little worried about using it this often.
Does anyone else use it monthly?

I protect my 2 with Frontline, and only during the spring - fall season. The instructions claim that they are protected for 3 months, but to apply it monthly if there is a heavy infestation. Of course the vets say to apply it monthly as well. I am only going to apply it every other month as long as I don't see any fleas on them. April-June-Aug.-Oct. I hate the idea of putting too many chemicals into their little bodies. JMO

Back