View Full Version : Should we get a 3rd Cav

19th March 2009, 02:17 PM
Right then basically as I mentioned on here before Rusty has a Heart Murmur and is 16 months old, recently he had his vet check and the murmur is still quite bad but basically he could still go on and live as long as our other dog Fido. Now me and my wife have been talking about getting a 3rd Cav because we think if anything does happen to Rusty sooner instead of later it might help Fido cope as we think Fido will just be a mess if Rusty leaves early. The other thing is do we just wait and see what happens and then just get another dog pretty much instantly after Rusty does leave us. I hate having to talk about it because to us Rusty is as fit as Fido in all honesty but obviously there is nothing stopping Rusty living as long as if not longer than Fido. But what would everyone elses opinion be get a 3rd Dog now? Is it alot of hard work having 3? Or do we just wait and see what happens in the future and go from there?

19th March 2009, 02:21 PM
That's a hard one. We own 3 dogs and do a lot of traveling. It is a lot of work. Only 2 our dogs are cavaliers. I do therapy work and work with a local rescue. We kept one of our rescues this year. He just fit in in the group so well and we were looking to add another dog to train for therapy.

Cavaliers really do adapt well. I would say, to make your decisions on your lifestyle and whether you want to take care of 3 dogs. It is very busy on bath days around our place. I am glad our lab doesn't get bathed that often! lol

As you know, cavaliers are like potato chips, and you can never have just one! OR maybe two....

Good luck with your decision.

19th March 2009, 02:28 PM
My girl has a murmer too and is just a year older that Ziggy who is one. I am not adding another one in just in case something may or not happen. I am enjoying my two while they are here. I do see where your coming from as I have thought about it too very often.


19th March 2009, 04:05 PM
We, too, thought about this when Arthur was diagnosed with his health problems at such and early age. What will Duncan do without his brother? The decision that we made is to give each of these wonderful babies all of our love and attention while we are blessed to have them with us...with the understanding that in our mourning one day we may have to open our hearts to another puppy relatively quickly so that our dogs will always have a companion. It is a hard decision because a good litter from the right breeder and situation is not something that is always readily available, so I think that if we saw a change coming in our situation we may reevaluate. For now, all my love to goes to these two!

19th March 2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. At first I could see the advantages to either side of the coin but I think now the best thing is just to enjoy our two boys why we have them. Why cant they just live forever wed be quite happy having our 2 boys and none others forever.