• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what is going on with my 9 year cav, peeing in the house all of a sudden.

deborah

Hi can someone shed some light on our situation, Cailum is 9 and a number of weeks ago we started to notice drops of blood around the house, it was coming from Cailums penis. We took him immediately to the vet who discovered that there was a stone in his bladder. He was then operated on to remove the stone, and sent home to recover on a prescription diet food. The vet did say to us that this food would flush out any other bits if there was any, and that he would drink a lot more and in turn pee more.

This is were the problem started. 3 weeks into this new diet, we discovered an ''accident'' on the kitchen floor when we came down in the morning. Blaming myself that I hadn’t let him out enough before we went to bed. I cleaned it up. (let me just say that although he did pee on the tiles, the pee then seeped across the floor and into the carpet in the dining area.

What I could not understand was why he didn’t bark to be let out, as he always has done in the past again I thought my fault I just didn’t hear him.

But the thing is, this has now happened 7 times now, and not only at night, during the day when we are here, although he is being let out regularly.
I had blamed it on the diet because of what the vet had said, and we were extra careful letting him out, but it still continued. So I stopped giving him the food, he is off it 4 weeks now, and its still happening.

I am at the end of my tether now, as I have been keeping him in the hall at night just in case it happens again as there is no carpet that the pee will get onto.

I had only started to let him back into the kitchen since last weekend, and here this morning I come down to discover he had peed again.

could it be something else totally unrelated to the bladder stone / prescription diet he was on.

could it be old age, that he can not hold his pee any more, but why has he stopped barking to let us know he needs out.

Please can someone shed some light on this as I really feel I can not continue this way, if it was simply pee on the tiles that a mop up with disinfected would clean, but each time my carpet in wet and stinking of pee, so I have to then take out the carpet cleaner and start washing the carpet. I have 8 week to go to the birth of our first baby, and I can not put up with him peeing like this. I don’t know what to do.

He has been through a lot with the surgery. :flwr:

He might have a urinary tract infection (UTI).

Both India and Geordie have had UTIs in the past at different times, and the main symptom for Geordie was pee spots all over the place. I never saw him pee in the house - I only found lots of little spots on the carpet, but we had his urine checked and sure enough he had a UTI.

I think when urinating is painful they won't ask to go outside. They just try not to do it, but then they have to.

If the vet finds absolutely nothing wrong with him, try looking into Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. I think you'd notice if he had it though, because some of the main symptoms are failure to greet family/seek affection from family members, barking for no reason at night, wandering aimlessly, getting 'lost'. This condition is treatable with drugs.

I think you need to make an immediate appointment with your vet to make sure there are not further medical problems. Check back and let us know what your vet has said. I hope it is something easily resolved. I'd say the reason he isn;t barking is that he is unable to hold himself and doesn't even realise he needs to go until he has gone. Please get this checked by a vet who can help you pinpoint the problem. (y)

It does seem like it could be a medical problem. Mindy is 11. I do find that she sometimes has to go out in the night now but she always does bark to wake us up. When we are up she never barks to go out - just stands at the door - if we don't notice her she will eventually scratch.

Ooops, just re-read your post and see he's off his special diet. He could be growing another stone. Yes, he needs a vet immediately.

I also forgot to mention he needs a vet immediately if he has a UTI.

Thank you both for your replies, I will take him to the vet tomorrow as we are heading away on Sunday for a few days and hes going to stay at his nannies, she is aware of the problem.

I really had put it down to the food, as we had no accidents since early last week

I will let you know how we get on.

thanks.

It does sound like a UTI. If thats the case , he really cant help it, and wont have time to alert you before he does it. Hope you get the answer at the vets today. Please post and let us know how you got on. Best wishes.

Even if it was the food, you should really discuss this with the vet. The food helps prevent recurring stones, so he might have more stones when going off the food. The vet may be able to give you something else that prevents stone formation but doesn't make him pee so much.

You could also try putting down a puppy wee wee pad to block the carpet so the urine does not hit it in the interim.

Back