PDA

View Full Version : A Real Pickle

TillyTommy
22nd March 2009, 08:25 AM
I have been away for some time due to serious health problems. Im now back alive and kicking!
But a pickle has arisen. I was asked to take on and rehome and retire an x breeding bitch. I collected her the end of Feb as I was told by owner she had not taken and I could have her early. I collected my little gem however just two days ago she gave birth to 3 wonderful puppies! :confused:
Mum is doing well but I am at a loss as to how to handle this. I have really been thrown in the deep end and advise most welcome. We had vet here for the births and they are in regular contact and coming out to see them again on Monday.
The previous owner who signed her over to me now wants them all back!

*Pauline*
22nd March 2009, 08:48 AM
If it was me, I'd say no!

harleyfarley
22nd March 2009, 09:20 AM
They did want her before did they? Now they can have some lovely puppies to maybe sell or breed from they are suddenly interested, i would say more than no. di

diddy
22nd March 2009, 09:25 AM
I'd say No too. Surely if she was signed over to you, the ownership passed from her to you on that date, otherwise there would be no point in signing her over would there?

Congrats on mum and new babies, dont forget to post pics asap.

harleyfarley
22nd March 2009, 09:26 AM
The obviously didnt know she was pregnant then?

I want to see the puppies, di

Aileen
22nd March 2009, 09:41 AM
Just say no. you did not want her so your not having her or the pups
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

jasperpaw
22nd March 2009, 10:06 AM
I would agree with everyone else and say no, they were obviously not interested until the puppies came along.

Evelyn
22nd March 2009, 10:36 AM
Give them the "bill" for the Vet,home visits are not cheap.. The extra costs you will incur for keeping Mum and pups etc , the cost of your "extra" time ( night shifts included). If the plan was to rehome this girl she would have been rehomed quite quickly but now you have 12 weeks or more to dedicate to bringing up this litter. Pups are not in such great demand now (especially if you are fussy who they go to) you could have them for many, many months.
They could even end up owing you money --they will then remember they signed her over to you!!

Karlin
22nd March 2009, 10:43 AM
Well, you have two options. If you had an agreement and it was witnessed by someone else then you are the legal owner of the dog. Alternatively if the vet has also been well aware of the situation and is aware the owner has only now reappeared and is demanding the dog back, your vet would probably be a convincing witness to allow you to keep this dog and rehome (this is only in the very unlikely situation that the breeder makes a major fuss about still owning the dog). In addition, possession tends to be 9/10s of the law so regardless of the actual legal status of the dog on paper, the fact that you have her, have had her for some time, and she will have been seeing your vet etc means a challenge would be unlikely. Really you should have had the dog actually signed over to you on paper -- this is what rescues do to avoid legal challenges by people who change their minds.

The other choice is: just give the bitch and puppies back. You haven't explained why you might *not* want to do this -- is this dog from a dubious situation to start with? If the breeder is a decent person and you do not want the huge responsibility of caring for small puppies, and the continuing financial commitment I would hand them all back but get the breeder to cover your expenses FIRST, in hand, before you give the dog back.

If this dog came from a questionable situation, there is absolutely no way I'd give it back, especially as I would assume it is pound signs lighting up that makes the breeder want this litter back now. I would pass the dog along to a good responsible breed rescue and if you contact me privately I can give you a contact to try and arrange something.

Either way puppies are a giant responsibility as is a bitch in whelp. There are many serious problems that can arise in the coming weeks and all those puppies need to be responsibly and carefully rehomed to make sure they are never also used for breeding. So again I'd work with a rescue.

PM me if you want to give more details and want a name of someone to talk this through with. Please do not give any revealing details about this breeder in a public post. :thmbsup:

PS if you are going to rehome the bitch eventually, be sure you get her spayed so she cannot continue to be used for breeding, of course.

TillyTommy
22nd March 2009, 01:34 PM
Thank you everyone. She was signed over to me on the Kc Reg papers and yes its a questionable situation so I am not handing them back. She is B/T and had 2 girls (9 oz, 6, oz) and a boy (7 oz).
My local vet is coming back tomorrow to check them all again.
So far I am doing ok but obviously very tired!
Puppies are all B/T, the girls have a tiny bit of white and the boy is solid with not an ounce of white. They are feeding well and latching on well but its early days and I have had to learn FAST!
Karlin - I will PM you as soon as I settle this evening - if I do lol

TillyTommy
22nd March 2009, 01:38 PM
p.s. I took Mum in to give her a good retirement home and look after her. So i couldnt part with her its just the pups that will need new loving homes:)

Aileen
22nd March 2009, 02:49 PM
I love puppys when you have time please could we see photos of mum and the puppys has well
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Clairelou
22nd March 2009, 05:49 PM
Delighted to hear she was signed over to you on the KC papers, that's a worry over...

If you get a minute :snap::snap::snap:

Enjoy!!!

Daisy's Mom
22nd March 2009, 09:01 PM
Wow! That must have been a shock!!

Good luck with the puppies and the mom. It sounds like things are going well, thank goodness.

*Pauline*
22nd March 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm glad you are keeping them, you sound like you are enjoying yourself. I'd love to be in your shoes but I could never give up the pups. Do you want to keep them?

TillyTommy
23rd March 2009, 08:17 AM
I would love them all but I just cant:(
It will break my heart parting with them but I will ensure they have the best homes:)

*Pauline*
23rd March 2009, 05:43 PM
Any news Robyn?

tupup
23rd March 2009, 07:48 PM
:thmbsup:Lordy what a shock! Congratulations on the birthof your furbabies! i cant wait to see:snap:-when youve a spare minute of course! im so glad the paperwork was sorted as others have said here no way would i give them back cos they didnt want her prior to pups coming along did they. you must be shattered but how lovely, i hope mum& babies are thriving

sins
23rd March 2009, 08:34 PM
That was an unexpected surprise!!:p I'm glad to see that Mum and puppies are all doing well.
My interpretation of this situation would be that as the registered owner of the Bitch in question at the time of whelping that you are the breeder and owner of the pups.
You should really clarify this with the kennel Club.This is important if you plan to register them.This would involve discussions with the owner of the sire and you may not want to do this if you are unhappy with the background of the individuals involved.
Sins

TillyTommy
17th May 2009, 07:52 PM
Just to let you know all three pups are now 8 weeks old and doing wonderfully. All have homes except Poppy but Im sure she will find her forever home soon. They have been a real joy:)

*Pauline*
17th May 2009, 09:27 PM
Oh fab news, well done. Please would you post pictures, we all love puppy pictures :snap:

TillyTommy
17th May 2009, 09:38 PM
Pauline if you send me your email address I will send you some. I dont know how to do it:( any other way.

*Pauline*
17th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Just Pmed you my email address :thmbsup:

TillyTommy
17th May 2009, 10:09 PM
Sent email about 10 min ago - hope you got it x

Aileen
17th May 2009, 10:28 PM
Pauline please could you put the photos on
--Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

TillyTommy
17th May 2009, 10:40 PM
Sorry I am so rubbish Aileen - I could send them to you as well if you pm me your mail address

*Pauline*
17th May 2009, 10:57 PM
Sorry was busy. Sure, working on it now...

Once I've stopped cooing over the pics! Good job Freddie is homed. :lotsaluv:

Willow.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/3540487082_c19380cef9_o.jpg
Willow.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/3540486924_0053a09385_o.jpg

Poppy.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3540486690_83d1465d0e.jpg

And my favourite, Freddie.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2467/3539674723_c077ccd4a2_o.jpg

I hope you told them about Cavalier Talk so we can see these beauties growing up? :D

TillyTommy
17th May 2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Pauline xx
Freddie was a much drawn out debate!
He is stayingg here with us x

*Pauline*
17th May 2009, 11:53 PM
Oh well that makes me very happy, please keep us posted about his progress. He is very sweet looking.

jld
17th May 2009, 11:55 PM
OH MY GOSH !!!!!!! They are the cutest things I have ever seen..... I am so glad you are keeping Freddie. What about Poppy? I would take her in a minute, if I lived closer. Thank you for posting those precious pictures, Pauline.

TillyTommy
17th May 2009, 11:56 PM
Poppy needs a home bless her:luv:

Sunflowerstar
18th May 2009, 12:05 AM
Well I have fallen for Poppy hook line and sinker her name did it for me as its the name I had already picked out for my next puppy aww they are all lovely :lotsaluv:

ilsamom
18th May 2009, 12:07 AM
Awwwww, look at little Poppy, if I were able to come get her......... I really want to.

Jen and Ilsa

TillyTommy
18th May 2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks everyone x

Jasperxxgabby
18th May 2009, 12:57 AM
Aww they are super adorable, best wishes for finding Poppy a great forever home, although with her cuteness I imagine a long queue :)

kmatt
18th May 2009, 08:30 AM
I'm really glad to hear that everyone is feeling well. It must have been a well good shock. I remember our dogs having pups once and I was awoken by my younger sis yelling that our dog, who went into labor over night, had "caught a rat" (First pup was delivered in my sis's room). I'm also glad that you were able to keep everyone together and I hope that momma is doing well.

If you have a group shot I would really appreciate it. Also the pups are adorable. :drivecar:

Sandrac
18th May 2009, 02:46 PM
They are just adorable .

ilsamom
21st May 2009, 06:42 PM
Did you find a home for Poppy yet? Or have you caved in to that beautiful face and kept her?
:D

Jen and Ilsa