• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Real Pickle

TillyTommy

I have been away for some time due to serious health problems. Im now back alive and kicking!
But a pickle has arisen. I was asked to take on and rehome and retire an x breeding bitch. I collected her the end of Feb as I was told by owner she had not taken and I could have her early. I collected my little gem however just two days ago she gave birth to 3 wonderful puppies! :confused:
Mum is doing well but I am at a loss as to how to handle this. I have really been thrown in the deep end and advise most welcome. We had vet here for the births and they are in regular contact and coming out to see them again on Monday.
The previous owner who signed her over to me now wants them all back!

Last edited:
They did want her before did they? Now they can have some lovely puppies to maybe sell or breed from they are suddenly interested, i would say more than no. di

I'd say No too. Surely if she was signed over to you, the ownership passed from her to you on that date, otherwise there would be no point in signing her over would there?

Congrats on mum and new babies, dont forget to post pics asap.

Just say no. you did not want her so your not having her or the pups
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Last edited:
I would agree with everyone else and say no, they were obviously not interested until the puppies came along.

Give them the "bill" for the Vet,home visits are not cheap.. The extra costs you will incur for keeping Mum and pups etc , the cost of your "extra" time ( night shifts included). If the plan was to rehome this girl she would have been rehomed quite quickly but now you have 12 weeks or more to dedicate to bringing up this litter. Pups are not in such great demand now (especially if you are fussy who they go to) you could have them for many, many months.
They could even end up owing you money --they will then remember they signed her over to you!!

Well, you have two options. If you had an agreement and it was witnessed by someone else then you are the legal owner of the dog. Alternatively if the vet has also been well aware of the situation and is aware the owner has only now reappeared and is demanding the dog back, your vet would probably be a convincing witness to allow you to keep this dog and rehome (this is only in the very unlikely situation that the breeder makes a major fuss about still owning the dog). In addition, possession tends to be 9/10s of the law so regardless of the actual legal status of the dog on paper, the fact that you have her, have had her for some time, and she will have been seeing your vet etc means a challenge would be unlikely. Really you should have had the dog actually signed over to you on paper -- this is what rescues do to avoid legal challenges by people who change their minds.

The other choice is: just give the bitch and puppies back. You haven't explained why you might *not* want to do this -- is this dog from a dubious situation to start with? If the breeder is a decent person and you do not want the huge responsibility of caring for small puppies, and the continuing financial commitment I would hand them all back but get the breeder to cover your expenses FIRST, in hand, before you give the dog back.

If this dog came from a questionable situation, there is absolutely no way I'd give it back, especially as I would assume it is pound signs lighting up that makes the breeder want this litter back now. I would pass the dog along to a good responsible breed rescue and if you contact me privately I can give you a contact to try and arrange something.

Either way puppies are a giant responsibility as is a bitch in whelp. There are many serious problems that can arise in the coming weeks and all those puppies need to be responsibly and carefully rehomed to make sure they are never also used for breeding. So again I'd work with a rescue.

PM me if you want to give more details and want a name of someone to talk this through with. Please do not give any revealing details about this breeder in a public post. (y)

PS if you are going to rehome the bitch eventually, be sure you get her spayed so she cannot continue to be used for breeding, of course.

Thank you everyone. She was signed over to me on the Kc Reg papers and yes its a questionable situation so I am not handing them back. She is B/T and had 2 girls (9 oz, 6, oz) and a boy (7 oz).
My local vet is coming back tomorrow to check them all again.
So far I am doing ok but obviously very tired!
Puppies are all B/T, the girls have a tiny bit of white and the boy is solid with not an ounce of white. They are feeding well and latching on well but its early days and I have had to learn FAST!
Karlin - I will PM you as soon as I settle this evening - if I do lol

p.s. I took Mum in to give her a good retirement home and look after her. So i couldnt part with her its just the pups that will need new loving homes:)

I love puppys when you have time please could we see photos of mum and the puppys has well
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Delighted to hear she was signed over to you on the KC papers, that's a worry over...

If you get a minute :snap::snap::snap:

Enjoy!!!

Wow! That must have been a shock!!

Good luck with the puppies and the mom. It sounds like things are going well, thank goodness.

I'm glad you are keeping them, you sound like you are enjoying yourself. I'd love to be in your shoes but I could never give up the pups. Do you want to keep them?

I would love them all but I just cant:(
It will break my heart parting with them but I will ensure they have the best homes:)

(y)Lordy what a shock! Congratulations on the birthof your furbabies! i cant wait to see:snap:-when youve a spare minute of course! im so glad the paperwork was sorted as others have said here no way would i give them back cos they didnt want her prior to pups coming along did they. you must be shattered but how lovely, i hope mum& babies are thriving

That was an unexpected surprise!!:p I'm glad to see that Mum and puppies are all doing well.
My interpretation of this situation would be that as the registered owner of the Bitch in question at the time of whelping that you are the breeder and owner of the pups.
You should really clarify this with the kennel Club.This is important if you plan to register them.This would involve discussions with the owner of the sire and you may not want to do this if you are unhappy with the background of the individuals involved.
Sins

Just to let you know all three pups are now 8 weeks old and doing wonderfully. All have homes except Poppy but Im sure she will find her forever home soon. They have been a real joy:)

Back