PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my arm off - help please!

hwowen
22nd March 2009, 06:03 PM
HI - some of you already know that we've adopted a 1 yr old deaf cavalier... he's great in the house - very compliant, very happy, knows his place - no accidents, and barking is MUCH less than when in rescue - in face he is silent most of the time, except when he doesn't know where you are.
He has 2 problems ... he goes beserk when he sees cars passing by (even at a distance).... Bark bark pull pull cry cry etc etc, for a good 2 mins... and when we go for a walk, it's more of a drag across the fields for 40 mins.
I doubt he's had ANY lead experience at all before us. He is reluctant to walk alongside, (ATTEMPTING THIS CAUSES EVEN MORE PULLING!!)preferring to be 2ft ahead!
Only when he's done all his toileting, and been out for about 30mins does the pain in my arm begin to subside. If we had a giant hamster wheel, I swear we could generate our own electricity!! He wears a harness, or he'd have choked by now :( the walk is more of a chore than a pleasure for BOTH of us. He is very strong! He gets 2 walks a day, and I would love to give him off lead running and THEN a walk, but as he's deaf and takes to the hills as soon as the lead is off (found this out by accident once!) this isn't an option. Any advice? Many thanks :)

Karlin
22nd March 2009, 06:38 PM
I'd suggest getting a Sense-ible harness. This is a front-clip no-pull harness and they really work for pullers. If you PM Tara (TKC on the board) she will probably arrange to send you one if you want to buy one from her. She's a dog trainer. She can also probably send you some info on working with a dog on pulling. This is a training issue -- and working with a deaf dog won't be much different from a hearing dog. If you are continuing with your walk when he pulls then you are without intention, teaching him to keep pulling because he is getting what he wants, to go in the direction that interests him. If he pulls, stand still until he stops. The go forward, and stop again every time he pulls. He will eventually figure out pulling is not getting results. This takes patience but it does work. The training links pinned at the top of this section all have good advice on stopping pullers too. But the harness really makes a huge difference, immediately. I use them with three of my four because even if you train a single dog not to pull, the tendency on a coupler (or triple lead) is to start pulling all together like a sled team. Using these harnesses makes walking a group of dogs far easier.

hwowen
22nd March 2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for that. I did try the standing still - waiting for slack - starting again, and have done that for up to 20mins on a couple of walks but wondered if I was compounding the problem - i.e. he's not getting exercise, so pulls even more!
The harness sounds like the thing I need - I knew they existed, but didn't want to end u with some instrument of torture - particularly as cavs are prone to so many problems already. Will chase that up :thmbsup:

Karlin
22nd March 2009, 07:20 PM
It takes a long while to get them to learn that pulling gets no results -- but they do tend to pick it up...! :) Also you can not even go out the door if he starts to pull. Pulling gets the harness taken off and no walk...

Here's more info on the harness (http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8).

MyDarby
22nd March 2009, 08:50 PM
My cav greatly responded to the gentle lead collar. It attaches at the front under the chin. There is a loose strap over the top of the nose. The collar sits high on his neck. The theory is that the high sitting collar emulates Mom carrying the pups and the strap over the nose is similar to the alpha Wolf who puts his mouth over an offending wolf's mussle. This is a must try - I think you will be pleased. I looked for a link to it and found the one below.

http://www.buygentleleader.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/gentleleader/description

Good luck - Susan

gocamping
27th March 2009, 04:11 PM
Pulling equals patience. There are lots of things out there. We have a lab and this was an issue. You can stand like a tree, you can change directions or one of my favorites is to place peanut butter on a spoon. Keep the spoon in your left hand and the dog walks on the left. They are so busy licking the spoon, they stay right with you.

If they pull ahead, it's the tree, no spoon. A loose leash, means more peanut butter and movement forward.

I have always found that cavaliers can be very treat motivated. Since they are small, I would practice this in your driveway, yard or somewhere for awhile first.

By moving forward, without some type of correction, you are inadvertantly saying, it's ok to pull me like a kite.:dogwlk: