• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM symptoms?

Katelyn

For the last few weeks Scarlett's been scratching at herself a lot and chewing on her paws. I remember reading that air scratching is a sign of SM but she doesn't really do that she just scratches her ears a lot or her back. She also always lies on the ground and chews on her paws, at first when she started doing this I thought she was just playing she kinda makes little growling sounds while shes doing it and chases them around then chews them but she moves her paws while she's chewing them so it kind of just looks like she's playing. Also just a few minutes ago she started scooting around on the floor. I'm starting to get worried but she was at the vet only a few weeks ago and the vet didn't notice anything. I know I should bring her back if I'm this worried but as horrible as it sounds I don't think I can afford it right now especially if its just me being paranoid :(

This sounds like allergies, possibly. You do need to talk to your vet. Scooting is very common in the breed and my dogs without SM do this, do face rubbing, and also chew their paws. Unfortunately SM symptoms are similar to many other things including some behaviours that are normal for some dogs -- but excessive scratching and paw chewing is not normal, so you want to find the cause. The scratching could be fleas, PSOM, ear mites, ear infections, allergies, for example.

Given that there's a lot of scratching and paw chewing I'd talk to your vet so you can see if you can find a cause. There are many many things this could be.

I have lots of SM info at www.smcavalier.com and in particular you might want to watch the videos and check the section entitled 'is this SM?' as it gives all the things to check for.

Might sound silly but have you checked her for fleas? Lots of hedgehogs are coming out of hibernation now and they have ticks and fleas that the dogs can pick up. I would maybe give her a bath and then comb her with a flea comb whilst wet to see if anything comes off.

If nothing then start looking for other options. Could you not insure her as it might work out cheaper for you, especially if you can't afford the vets bills.

Back