• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

safe travel in an SUV

mjones5

Hi,

Annie is a year old tri, and I have a miniature Australian Shepherd. I hae read and tried searching and I am thinking that I should get a metal crate and secure it in the back for them to ride in, or should I get two?

I have also seen some car seats that sit them high enough to see out and connect with a harness to the car seat which is belted in.

What is the safest way for them to travel?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Martha,

I always crate Holly, she's not crazy about it but i'd rather be sure she's safe.

Hi Martha
3316096473_6ecb6c1aa3.jpg

3316917602_932f19d112.jpg

3316912686_34a0d9dd05.jpg

I have a Honda CRV which is a medium size SUV ,I bought a double metal crate which as you can see I have put in the boot and it is secured behind the back bench seat of the car ,I have inside the crate a bolt on non spill water bowl and on the left side I have two battery driven fans to aid air circulation in warmer weather ,they sit on a vetmat then two large sheepskins then a couple of woolen throws.They all seem comfy and have enough room as very often when driving the three of them snoring is louder than the noise of the car ,the only problem being nothing for us humans goes in the boot its all Cavlier stuff so when we all go on hols I have a roof box for our items.:)

lol, thats not a car brian, its a travelling dog mobil, they should have their own intercom through to the driver. di

I may be paranoid, but I worry that if there was an accident a dog in a crate would be slammed against the metal and be seriously injured, more so then in a dog car seat next to me.

Jen and Ilsa

Hi Jen

The only problem with the car seat idea for our Cavaliers is seat belts are a max of five and that includes the driver ,so I could at a maximum carry one other crate strapped on the back seats and four humans including the driver ,or as we are and five humans in the car.:)

As a norm the the Honda carries Dawn ,Luke and me inside and the three girls in the back so that leaves two spare belts and seats inside.:)

And Di when driving I always wear a black suit and a flat hat ,and the girls have mobiles of course so we dont need an intercom and theres a blue tooth connection for the phones.:)

LOL Brian. We have a crate and I also have seatbelts. I preferred the seat belts but then as their feet started getting muddy and they left mud all over the seat (despite a blanket) I decided that a crate wasn't such a bad idea! By the time I get the seat belt on Max I'm ready to leave him home. We're working on him being calm while his harness is put on but it does delay our outings. He somehow manages to get himself turned around and twisted in his seatbelt as well. Mindy the princess, of course always acts like one and will travel either way happily with a demeanor befitting of a princess (I'm sure her being 11 years older doesn't hurt either).

Back