• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dewclaws

cavpal

I've noticed on one of Lola's forelegs her dewclaw is getting quite long.
The other dewclaw is very short, like the claws on her paws.
Should I take her to the vet to have it trimmed or is there anything I can do at home to shorten it? :confused:

I don't trim her nails because she walks on concrete quite a lot and this keeps them short. Should I start trimming them? They are quite short as it is. :confused:

I have the groomer do it! They know when it is needed. And she won't bleed!!!

Jen and Ilsa

Don't bother to trim your Cavalier's nails if walking keeps them short, but DO trim the dewclaw. If they get too long they can curl round and dig into the leg, or get caught in something and torn (and the blood is horrendous!). Trimming is easily done with a nail clipper that you can buy from the pet shop - but be careful not to trim them too close to the quick. I just check my dogs' dewclaws when I brush them and trim them when necessary.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I have always been afraid to cut their claws myself but have used a nail file if they get very long and carefully tried to shorten them enough until I had time to get them to the vet. Especially with Arthur, his nails are black and I would never know how far to cut without getting to close to the quick.

i got really good nail clippers from zooplus but i darnt use them,too scared of hurting her! like yours my girls nails are kept well down due to walks but i keep an eye on her dewclaws then either the vet or the groomers do them for her!

I have a Cavalier getting a hind dew claw removed tomorrow, along with neutering. So wierd to see a Cav with a hind one!

If you clip the very tip off the nail you should be ok, I do all of mine. Just be careful to stay away from the pink bit (quick) or there could be pain and bleeding. Of course, if your are a bit dodgy about doing it, it's prob best to get a pro - piece of mind (y)

I have a Cavalier getting a hind dew claw removed tomorrow, along with neutering. So wierd to see a Cav with a hind one!

Pippin has two hind dew claws!

I usually cut the dew claws myself with clippers I got in my vets,but DJ has blackish nails so I might get the vet to do his.

Their nails usually don't need doing as they wear them down walking, but lately Gus does not walk as hard so I do his now and again.

I trim my boys' nails myself (usually!) and they both have front dew claws that I trim. They seem to grow slower than their regular nails, so I trim them every few weeks. It's hard to get at them because of the angle, plus those slippers, although so cute, really get in the way when trimming nails. Their dew claws are buried in a big tuft of hair, so I usually need someone to help me with the dew claws. My boys both have black nails, and I've never (knock on wood!) quicked their dew claws...although I have quicked both of them when clipping their regular nails, but never bad, just a little. I like the Miller's Forge brand scissors that have a white handle; the guillotine doesn't work for me, it tends to split the nail. The scissors make a quick, clean cut. Also have the styptic powder on hand, just in case ;) Here are the scissors I use:

3382512450_0faf092d55.jpg

Last edited:
Back