• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ear cleaning

ilsamom

Hi, I was wondering what everybody thought was the best way to clean the cav's ears. I've been using Q-tips once a week, but just read that it's not good for them. I don't think, however, that cotton balls or make up remover pads get her ears as clean.

Wondering what you all think

Thank you
Jen and Ilsa

Jennifer--last week they gave me Epi Otic and I'm suppose to do twice a week. You just pour it down the canal and rub the ear a bit. They suggested doing it before bath for some reason. I've used this on my dogs for years. Sometimes in the ears I use mint alcohol but just take a cotton ball. Don't put that down the canal.

Our dermatologist veterinarian told us how to clean cavalier ears:

• Use a cleaner from the vet, such as Epi-otic. (we've been using Malaseb flush for all three of ours, and sometimes we use Keto flush for India [she used to have yeast from allergies] instead)
  • Lay the cavalier on his/her side and gently fill the ear all the way up with flush, then gently massage around the ear
  • Use large cotton balls to soak up most of the flush
  • Lay the cavalier on her/his other side and repeat for the other ear
She also told us to lay the cavalier on her/his side to instill ear drops (this is for ear infections, etc.), then gently massage around the ear. It works so much better then trying to put the drops in when the dog is in an upright position.(y)

Just want to add that at first the dog may be startled at the sensation of the ear filling up, but now all 3 of my cavaliers just calmly lay there, as they are used to it and they know they get a treat afterwards.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll try your idea Cathy, but I have no idea how I can make her stay on her side like that. I'll try to attack while she's sleeping lol. I could try before a bath but she is already annoyed enough at bathtime.

Jen and Ilsa

I put CleanAural in my dogs' ears once a week (used to be called Leo). Aled had an ear infection when I got him and the vet gave me CleanAural, but it's not on prescriptioon so now I get it cheaper on the internet. It's helping Aled's ears and I do Oliver's at the same time as a prevention. It breaks up any wax and ear mite gunge so that you can wipe it away with cotton wool, and it wipes off their fur easily (no need for baths!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I've been cleaning their ears after their baths to prevent ear infection from the damp. I also completely dry their ears with a hair dryer on low - takes forever, but no ear infections. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

Back