• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eye staining problems anyone? Used Angel Eyes?

AliceAbbyBellaDaphne

Hello,
My cav, Alice (4 months), is a blenhiem without a mask, she has a partial mask on one side of one of her eyes that leads to her ear, but mostly is all white on her face. (She does have the nice spot on her head though, it's kind it's heart shaped!) Anyway, by the young age of 2.5 months she had significant staining below her eyes. I had heard of the Angel Eyes product before, when I worked for a vet. So we got some from Amazon.com - it's a little expensive, but all the reveiws swore it really works. We have been using it for a few weeks now and it really does work, although we had to trim away some of the permenantly stained hair. You are supposed to mix it with their food, but the only way I could get Alice to eat it was to mix the powder with a little peanut butter. I wondered if any of you have had eye staining problems with your cavs and/or have any of you used Angel Eyes? Thanks to all!
Tawna
:jump:

I use something called Diamond Eye by Vitacoat. I put a little on a cotton ball (one for each eye) and carefully wipe right near the corner of each eye. Then sometimes in the evening, i may do it again, using plain water.

It works great, as Sasha has a tendency to get those stains. Using it every day keeps the stains from occurring.

I have a black and tan so I don't really notice any staining. However, I have a 'blenheim" cat that has a very short muzzle and tears with bad staining. We call it his "Goth" look. I can wipe everyday but it is always stained. I did a lot of research into the Angels Eyes product and because it has a low dose antibiotic in it I was afraid to use it. What effect will long term use of an antibiotic have on an animal??? However, I have been so frustrated with the staining that I've often thought about trying it and using it occasionally.

Since we brought our cavy into the house though, she has done a wonderful job at keeping her buddy's eyes clean!

I just dab Hollys with cooled boiled water and a cotton ball every morn, that keeps hers nice and clean. Wouldn't fancy using antibiotics unless it was really necessary and prescribed.

I just use warm water on a baby washcloth to clean under the eyes each morning and night. If you do it every day, there is no staining. :)

I have just taken delivery of Angel's Delight - an organic non toxic alternative to Angels Eyes, which they say is no longer legal in the uk. I have the paste and the additive from bichonhotel.co.uk but don't yet know if it's effective. As you can see from my profile pic, Jasper is almost all-white with just 4 blen patches!! If it works I will post a new pic of Jasper without his tear stains in a few weeks :D

Kleen Face / Angel's Delight

Thanks to all for the advice, I didn't plan to keep on using Angel Eyes forever, especially not now that I have learned of better alternatives. I think we will get some Kleen Face and or Angel's Delight. I think the Bichon UK website is the only place that you can order the Angel's Delight, but they do ship to the US... it's good to know that it is normal for some cavs to get eye staining, thanks everyone!
Tawnacavtiny

If anyone wants to get hold of Angel's Delight, and has trouble getting it shipped, I can order it for you here and post it on. We are using the food supplement and the paste, and have been since my last post. So far, I would say no change. I guess these things take time, but when you've paid over £30 for a treatment, it would be nice if you could see quick results! I hope that Jasper will look less miserable and negected if and when it works! Being a rescue dog, good looks weren't much of a consideration at his last home!

Just a quick update - There is little change to the tearstaining after using the product for 3 weeks.... this includes a week when Jasper was on antibiotics, so I would have expected some improvement from that alone. Im beginning to suspect that his colouration around the eyes is part blen markings and part tear-staining.

Hello,
My cav, Alice (4 months), is a blenhiem without a mask, she has a partial mask on one side of one of her eyes that leads to her ear, but mostly is all white on her face. (She does have the nice spot on her head though, it's kind it's heart shaped!) Anyway, by the young age of 2.5 months she had significant staining below her eyes. I had heard of the Angel Eyes product before, when I worked for a vet. So we got some from Amazon.com - it's a little expensive, but all the reveiws swore it really works. We have been using it for a few weeks now and it really does work, although we had to trim away some of the permenantly stained hair. You are supposed to mix it with their food, but the only way I could get Alice to eat it was to mix the powder with a little peanut butter. I wondered if any of you have had eye staining problems with your cavs and/or have any of you used Angel Eyes? Thanks to all!
Tawna
:jump:

I'd say all of my dogs have had weepy eyes at this age. There teeth are coming in and it usually resolves itself (or gets a lot better) by the time they are about 1 year old.

That is very interesting to know, Sandy, that it may clear up later... I hope so! I am disappointed to hear that the Angels Delight didn't seem to be working for Jasper... Alice's eye stains returned shortly after she stopped using the Angel Eyes. For now I am trying to wipe them clean as much as I can! I may try the Kleen Face that someone recommended....

Back