• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dental Care

cb2u

Sasha is 2 and a half, and I haven't yet had her teeth professionally cleaned. I've noticed her breath is a bit "doggy", for lack of a better word. I try to brush her teeth but honestly am not doing a very good job, she just never liked it.

My vet recommends a dental cleaning while the dog is under anaesthesia, in order to do a thorough job. I know someone else who recommends a cleaning without anaesthesia, but my vet doesn't feel a proper job can be done if the dog is awake.

Any thoughts on this?

I've been told the same thing and it is a shame as I hate putting her under. If there is a way to do it without I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. Last time the vet used the gas and not the IV to put her under. It was much more gentle and she was able to eat and drink quickly.

Jen and Ilsa

My vet suggested that when Mindy was around two or three. He wasn't insistent though and because I have such anesthesia paranoia I didn't do it. He never mentioned it again until Mindy was 10 and by then she ended up having to have a lot of teeth removed. It doesn't seem to slow her down but I sure felt terrible about it. I will make sure to have Max done more regularly and just get over my fears.

Gus(7) has had his teeth done twice, my vet uses the gas also and wakes them up pretty soon afterwards.
I am always nervous when he has this done but Gus has a problem with his saliva which means, that even though I look after his teeth well, he needs a professional clean evey now and then. My vet thinks he may need it yearly now as he is getting older.

My cat had his done 2 wks ago, the vet used the gas. He was fine as soon i brought him home, his teeth are gleaming and his breath is much better too:p.

Thank you for all of your responses. I think I'm going to take the vet's advice, but ask for gas rather than an IV. :)

Back