• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help please!

vicarrieous

I am looking for some suggestions on how to treat my yard for fleas. My main concerns are the dogs. I dont want to use a harsh chemical and our private well. I am very careful about testing our well and I dont want to treat our lawn with something that can potentially seep into our well and become dangerous.

This is all stemming from the fact that everyone once in a while I am finding a flea on Albie's head. I treat him RELIGIOUSLY with Frontline and yet once or twice a month I find ONE. :confused: As soon as I find one I go into a Army Drill Sergaent cleaning the house/bedding/carpets etc. and flea combing my little guys. Each time I dont see any more. When I flea comb them I cant find a single one. I sometimes even bathe them with flea shampoo and still none. I have even taken them to the vet to confirm that I am not missing anything and each time they act like I am crazy! This past month I have found 3 fleas on 3 different occasions. :mad: I can't decide if the Frontline isnt working or if our yard is just that infested or if its normal for them to pick up one here and there. Someone told me that Frontline doesnt prevent the flea from jumping onto your pet but does prevent them from biting them and laying eggs. I almost always find one within minutes of them being outside and its driving me insane! My husband accuses me of being a baboon and flea checking the dogs each time they come inside. I make each dog sit with me so I can go through their fur to look for any fleas. Am I crazy?:bang:

:*bay:Any help/suggestions?

It sounds like you have some in your yard and you are just finding them before they have time to die from the Frontline. It takes up to 24 hours. I have seen a couple of fleas on Daisy before when we have taken her on trips, but then never see them again. So I assume the Frontline is doing the job. Do you use Frontline or Frontline Plus? The Plus also kills flea eggs, so if you are concerned that one of the vagabond fleas will lay eggs before it dies, then I'd opt for that.

I have never treated our yard with anything because we've never seen fleas at home, but my parents always used Diazinon in their yard, which I assume is the kind of thing you want to avoid. I read up last year on beneficial nematodes which are little critters you spread around your yard and they eat flea eggs. I eventually concluded that it was too hot and dry here for them to survive so I never tried them. You can buy them online or at some upscale garden centers. It needs to be fairly moist on a consistent basis from what I've read. Depending on the shade level in your yard and your rainfall level, it might be worth checking into.

I've heard that beneficial nematodes help, too. I've never used them, but it seems like a non-chemical solution that might work??? Good luck! :flwr:

Thanks for that information. I do use Frontline Plus and have read up that you can find a random flea on them but it does take roughly 18 hours to kill them once they are on the dog. I just dont like the idea of them making into the house.

I looked up the nematodes and seem like a decent option although they dont look very pretty! Good thing they are microscopic!

Back