PDA

View Full Version : American rescue

lisanne74
25th March 2009, 12:53 PM
Hello I see alot of overseas rescue ..do we have any here in the states ...I know of 2 but they really never answer you back when you inquire ...I would love to rescue a cav or 2 .......let me know I live in NJ

frecklesmom
25th March 2009, 01:33 PM
:cffee: Did you fill out adoption applications for the Rescues? Might need to do this again as sometimes these seem to get lost.

Lani
25th March 2009, 01:53 PM
I will send you a PM.

Karlin
25th March 2009, 04:33 PM
Lists of all rescues I know of are pinned at the top of this section. There are club breed rescues all across the US for both national clubs, plus several non-club breed rescues, plus many, many listings on Petfinder.com. :thmbsup:

chloe92us
25th March 2009, 07:29 PM
If you're looking for a rescue, you can't expect anything to happen overnight. The groups are run by volunteers and do it in their "free time".

The best bet is to fill out an online application with the major ones in your area, or national ones (www.Cavalierrescueusa.com (http://www.Cavalierrescueusa.com)) and once your app is in, follow up periodically with a phone call or email to see if there are any available dogs in your area.

**They go through their applicants FIRST, and sometimes do not even advertise a dog so definitely start there!

Lani
25th March 2009, 07:45 PM
There is also Lucky Star: www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org

Lucky Star is also staffed by volunteers and while I am not associated with them, I'd assume they may operate similarly to Cavalier Rescue so may not have time to respond to every application, but simply call when a good rescue match is available. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to send another application even if you already sent one.

A couple other ideas:
**Another thing you can do is set up an alert on petfinder to be notified when there are Cavalier rescues that come into area shelters. It does not happen often, and thankfully they are usually snatched up quickly when they do end up in shelters, but this is potentially another avenue you may want to look at.
**I even know of someone locally who adopted a Cavalier (rehoming situation) off of Craigslist, so that may also be an option for you.

That and a bit of patience and I'm sure you'll find a rescue to love soon!

molly
26th March 2009, 12:41 AM
Hi Lisanne. I sent you some PMs about LS rescue. Hope to talk to you soon.

WoodHaven
26th March 2009, 12:59 AM
Hello I see alot of overseas rescue ..do we have any here in the states ...I know of 2 but they really never answer you back when you inquire ...I would love to rescue a cav or 2 .......let me know I live in NJ

I am a volunteer in a few cavalier rescues in the USA. They are run with volunteers, who usually have jobs, families etc... We try to acknowledge the applications, but it is very easy to get bogged down. Last week I got 14 requests for one particular dog--one person complained they hadn't been called the day after they sent in their applications.
Just image thousands of applications filled out for 200-300 dogs in a year. I find myself trying to fit in calls after work, before meetings or after dinner. This is on top of fostering and vetting dogs, compiling possible homes, doing home visits and arranging transport.