PDA

View Full Version : Corticosteroids (prednisolon)

Jossu
26th March 2009, 10:37 AM
Hi all :paw:

I know there has been some discussion on the use of corticosteroids to alleviete SM symptoms, but I thought to start this thread anyway. I would like to hear if any of your dogs have experienced somewhat long-term use of prednisolon or other similar drug? Our neurologist recommended prednisolon, and it has helped tremendously. Mauri hasn't scratched at all since he started using it. I know it may have serious side effects...

Best, Johanna

Dublin
26th March 2009, 11:30 AM
My last dog Leo (Chinese Crested x) was on Prednisolone 1mg 1x daily for aprox 13 years! His was for a skin condition rather than SM or anything ralated. But healthwise he was fine & had no complications regarding to long term use of the drug - hope that helps!

Oh - just to add, when his skin was very bad his dose would be upped to 5mg a day in one single dose for a few days. I was told that pred should only be given at night due to natural levels in the body.

Jossu
26th March 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info! Let's hope Mauri will be ok with the drug. He is on 5mg once a day. Our vet said to give the drug in the morning for the same reason you mentioned (natural levels of the body)! Puzzling :confused:

-Johanna

ilsamom
26th March 2009, 12:46 PM
I was told to give it in the morning as well!

Jen and Ilsa

linderbelle
26th March 2009, 02:35 PM
Abbey was on steroids for quite a long time due to her "allergies" and I expressed my fears and was told it was a very low dosage and not to be concerned at all. When I came on cavalier talk and started to read about sm I took her off of them--before he surgery the neurologist had her on gabapentin and omeprazole and it wasn't cutting it so he added the steroids back again and again I expressed my fear with him and he said the same thing--very low dosage. Not sure if I read what dosage yours was on but it might be something to ask also.