• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need advice please.

*Pauline*

Dylan has had an upset tummy recently with colitis. I fed him rice and chicken and I gave him antibiotics and Pro-Kolin. After 10 days, the diarrhea stopped for two days then came back for two days. His stools are almost back to normal now (the right colour but a little soft) but has little white tiny dots in it.

My question is, could this be the rice, Pro-Kolin or worm eggs? I don't know what worm eggs look like or if dogs pass them. I'm worried to de-worm him so soon after the colitis.

Sorry that Dylan is under the weather again. I don't have a clue Pauline. Why don't you give your vet a ring. I know alot of us hate to bother our doctors etc. but thats what we pay them for. I'm getting better at ringing mine--lol. Hope he gets better soon. I'm also aware that your vet is probably closed by now though.

Thanks Linda. I am leaning towards it being the rice now. As I washed the sieve it also had white dots from the rice. I hope that's all it is.

Believe it or not, if you google "worms" "dog" and "poo" you don't get any pictures!!!

frecklesmom, that's the search I did too. I didn't see anything that looked like a worm in his poo.

Margaret, when I rinsed the sieve I used for the rice, there were little white dots in that too so I could be the rice.

Poor fella, it's always something.

I often see white bits in the poo when I give mine rice.

I usually worm mine every three months as a precaution and 'touch wood' it seems to work.

Hope Dylan is well soon..Pippin used to suffer from bad colitis and it's very upsetting for them.

Merlin has just had colitis aswell! I gave him the anitbiotics, prokalin and royal canin sensitive wet food - worked a treat - though at £1.80 a can I should hope so :)

My old vet would only sell me Royal Canin tins in trays of 12, it cost me a fortune, and it didn't work. I have quite a few tins left and when the vet was collecting for the RSPCA I offered them the tins but they wouldn't take them as they were prescription food. How silly!

I'm glad Merlin is better now :)

Pauline, I only had to buy one can, my vet prescribed no food for 24 hours, then the wet food in 4 small meals over a 24 hour period in conjunction with the antiboitics and prokaolin.

I'm due down to london in april - down to mitcham - perhaps I could stop by and pick it up - Merlin loved it! it would be good for a tasty topper!

I think it's probably the rice too...

Oh that would be great if Kirsty could take the Royal Canin prescription food off your hands so it won't go to waste. (y)

I just thought of something that was suggested to me when Geordie had digestive problems - I tried it, and it did help - mix a small amount of plain psyllium husk fiber (not sweetened or flavored) into his canned dog food. Somehow this helps firm up the stools.

Also, have you tried canned green tripe? I swear by it! (y) I don't know what is in it that works, but it does! I think perhaps digestive enzymes?

PS: I moved your thread to the Health forum, as other members can more quickly and easily look up similar health problems and learn from your experience.

I give all my dogs extra fiber--in the a.m. I give a pinch of something like "benefiber" and then also I take a couple of shredded wheat and crunch up and throw in there. They think they're cookies. Make sure its not sugar coated etc. Just the plain. My doggies poos are nice--lol.

Back to the vets today and probably lab tests which cost £50. He is producing yellow poo again. I'm thinking of trimming his bum so I don't have to keep washing him. His hair is quite long and it lays on the ground and he poops on top of it. A normal dry poo would just fall off when he gets up, but it's not the case with the slop that's coming out.

His hair is quite long and it lays on the ground and he poops on top of it.

I have this problem with Rufus, who tends to have a delicate tummy. I've trimmed some of his rear end fur which has helped, but I never go out without a few emergency tissues.

Its frustrating isn't it. I've sure learned off of my experience to never have a dog without having insurance. I sure hope Dylan gets back to his old self soon. Let us know when you return from the vet. Hugs to you both.

Back