• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello im new here! have a few questions..

kelly00

Hi im kelly, soon to be a proud owner of a little blenhim girl ( sorry if i spelt that wrong!) i will be bringing her home in 2 weeks and was just wondering if you guys can help me with a few things! ive been reading these forums for a while now and it has been really helpful informing me about the health problems which did at first put me off the breed. I am pretty sure i have a puppy that will stay fit and healthy after taking a very large list of questions to the breeder!!

Im looking into crate training, firstly unsure on what size to buy, The mother of the pup was no bigger than a large cat and i do have an old cat plastic carrier, did you thing it would be possible to you this as a crate? should be plenty bigger enough for a puppy and i intend to just have bed for her after the puppy phase and once she is fully house trained.Any general advice on crate training would be great to!

Im sure i will think of lots more questions in the next few days! thanks in advance for all your help x

Mine are both 18lbs full grown, and i have always used 24" metal crates (sold at the pet store). You can put up a barrier until they are trained so they don't have access to the whole thing (like in the photo below). They're more open than a plastic cat carrier, so it might be nicer for the puppy. Just my 2C. :)

3068870704_eed13fbe54.jpg

Disclaimer: Don't worry, we don't kennel them this way! This was just for the photo op. But that was the amount of room Charlie had until he was potty trained.

Hi Kelly, I'm pretty new here as well....

My cavie girl is 4.5 months now. We have been using a cat crate for now. You can't give them too much room or they'll potty in it. We are about to move Alice to a bigger crate, since she has grown so much. The cat crate isn't really tall enough for her now. We have crates of all sizes because we have lots of other dogs. (Alice is our 1st cav though.) Crate training is the way to go, we actually still crate all of our dogs at night, they are used to sleeping in there and expect it. In my experience cavs aren't too hard to potty train. Alice will not have an accident in the house as long as we remember to take her out every hour or so. When she was really little we took her out every 30 to 45 minutes. If they are playing hard, have recently ate or drank, or just woke up then it's time to go out. It's really learning their schedule. In the beginning Alice had some poo accidents because we hadn't gotten familiar with her schedule yet and were not waiting outside long enough for her to do #2. Best of luck, they are really great dogs, I want a herd of them now!:luv:
Tawna

Kelly; The size of crate will depend on your pup's size. Our Abigail at 10 plus weeks was 4 pounds. The breeder said to get an 18" crate and I got a pad for it. Abigail never had an accident in the crate. Nowwe have her in a 24" crate with a pad. You could go with this size and use a divider but I had a bad experience with our golden when she was a pup. She got a paw caught in the divider.

Just keep taking the pup out as Tawna recommended and the pup should be fine.

HeatherR

Thanks for all your comments! I think im going to go with the plastic carrier to start with, just becuase i dont intend to keep her in her crate after 6 months or so, but i guess that depends on her! if she does take to it then i might buy a crate when she out grows the carrier. Im so excited!! will post pics when she arrives!! thanks again you have all been very helpful!

Charlie's and Indy's expressions cracked me up.....and Charlie (is that Charlie??) in the playpen is too cute.

I use an 18x24 crate for mine. It's the same crate I started with and at 5 and 6 years old it's still the same one from puppyhood.

Charlie's and Indy's expressions cracked me up.....and Charlie (is that Charlie??) in the playpen is too cute.
Thanks! That was when Indy was still in her "tell me again why this thing hasn't gone home yet" phase.

The 18x24 crate seems to be the best fit for the Cavalier. We also have a fold-up fabric crate we use for travelling, so we can put them in together if we're somewhere we don't want them running loose. It's about 2x the size of the 18x24 and fits them both with lots of room left over.

Back