• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My new cavs pinkish nose???

makoby

I have recently brought home our gorgeous 9 week old cavalier Baxter. Having never owned one before i have been doing as much research as I can and Im wondering about general appearance of a cav? My cavs nose is mostly black but not all over? Its like it needs to spread a little higher on the snout? I have seen contradicting comments saying that by 9 weeks it wont change, and then others including the breeder I bought him from saying it can take up to 2 years but it WILL go black...Is this the case? Ive been looking for 'progression' pics of ANY random cavs to have a look and cant find any. If anyone has had this, do you have pictures of your cav between 8-16 weeks with a pinkish nose and what it looks like now? Id love to see. Thanks alot, Renee :)

Minnie's nose was pink on both sides until she was about 4 months old, then one day I noticed that it was completely black.

My boy Jato, now 16 months old, has pink on his nose too. It did fill in a bit more as he grew, but never turned completely black. I think it gives him character...it's OK not to look like everyone else. :D

P1010525.jpg

:p Hello I don't post any do mostly reading on this site and I have learned alot but I would like to reply to you question. I also had the same problem with the pink nose. When I took LeRoux to the vet he asked me if we were feeding her out of a plastic bowl we told him no and asked why. He told us that letting them drink or eat out of a plastic bowl when they are little the nose will stay pink but will turn black when using a metal one. We always use a metal bowl and it did and she is 15 months now. He also said it would eventually turn but it would take longer if a plastic one is used.

Darlene
LeRoux's mom:lotsaluv:

That is really weird to me, but I've heard that many times before about using a plastic bowl. It certainly wouldn't hurt to switch to a metal bowl regardless, and in fact they are easier to keep cleaner. Daisy got lip pyoderma from drinking out of a plastic bowl in her crate. So if you are using plastic, I would agree that it's worth a try to switch. But honestly, 9 weeks is way too young to say it won't turn black, IMO. Most do, so there's no reason to think your doggie's won't.

:p Hello I don't post any do mostly reading on this site and I have learned alot but I would like to reply to you question. I also had the same problem with the pink nose. When I took LeRoux to the vet he asked me if we were feeding her out of a plastic bowl we told him no and asked why. He told us that letting them drink or eat out of a plastic bowl when they are little the nose will stay pink but will turn black when using a metal one. We always use a metal bowl and it did and she is 15 months now. He also said it would eventually turn but it would take longer if a plastic one is used.

Darlene
LeRoux's mom:lotsaluv:

This is the craziest thing I've heard of. My breeder said it is all about the pigment in the nose. It is a thing of nature, not plastic vs. stainless steel. My dogs ONLY drink from stainless steel bowls by the way. I too have heard that plastic bowls are not good for their overall health- chemicals are released, they don't sanitize well, etc.
I agree your puppy is way too young to predict what the nose will do. Sit back, relax, and nature will lead the way. :flwr:

I agree I have never heard of that either, but I always use metal bowls anyway just going on what my vet said about the plastic. I did not mean to apply that it would stay pink nor one verses the other just a statement that was told to us.

Darlene
:lotsaluv:LeRouxe's mom

wow, thank! So many replys. He does eat drink from metal, so I guess I will just wait and see. regardless of the nose colour, I am falling in love with him more every day! He is so adorable and cuddly and sleeps in my bed (hope thats not really bad) Its funny, I never even let my kids get into bed with us when they were babies, and now I find myself with a dog and 2 cats!!

Many puppies will have a little pigment missing from their nose. Usually the pink will be gradually replaced by black as they get older.
If the snippet is too obvious it will count as a fault if they are shown.

Faith has a pink stripe on her nose, rather like Jato, but it does seem to be filling in very slowly. It's rather cute really.

There is another problem that can plague the show owner, and this is when the whole nose is 'off-colour'. The dense black pigment lightens & takes on a pinkish hue.
It is sometimes thought that this putty coloured pigment can be caused by something that is used when making plastic bowls.

I'm not sure if that is true, my dogs use plastic bowls and they have good pigment.

Margaret C

Annie, my blk/t, began having white spots on her nose and Freckles,Blen, nose became faded,almost grey, when they were using the plastic "break" bowls. I switched them back to stainless steel bowls and the pigmentation problems disappeared.

Back