PDA

View Full Version : Is a "small" hernia a "big" deal?

JerseyCav
30th March 2009, 04:20 PM
New guy here. :)

I found a puppy I want to adopt. The breeder (reputable) told me that the puppy has a small hernia, and that it's no big deal. Do you agree? Do I definitely need to have it fixed by my vet, or is it something the little boy can live with?

Thanks!

asherotter31
1st April 2009, 04:10 AM
My boy also had a small hernia - they fixed it when I had him neutered since he was already under.

arasara
1st April 2009, 04:36 AM
That goes the same for us. Kosmo had his fixed when we had him neutered and Faith's when she way spayed. It wasn't a big deal aside from costing me another $100 on top of the surgery ;) Faith's mom was a mill mama, and she came out of the mill with a hernia so big it drug the ground :eek: - She had to get it fixed when she was spayed too. I know there are problems that can happen if it gets too big and it's left there - they can develop intestinal loop strangulation, so it's not a bad idea to get it fixed, or at the very least assessed by your vet :flwr:

Mom of Jato
1st April 2009, 05:33 AM
My Zoey had a small umbilical hernia too. No big deal, the vet fixed it when she was spayed at 6 months of age. I wouldn't let it deter you from purchasing the puppy if he is the one that you want. :)

pippa
1st April 2009, 10:20 AM
My rescue boy has an umbilical hernia but as he is 4 yrs and doesn't seem to be bothered by it,my vet has said to leave it for now.

It doesn't seem to trouble him at all.

Gem
1st April 2009, 07:31 PM
I think Hernias are quite common. Heidi had one when we got her and she had it fixed when she was spayed think it cost only about £20 etc to do as was already under anasethetic - mums little cav has one but the vet has said it is fine to leave i wouldnt let it put me off the puppy :)

bondgirl53001
1st April 2009, 07:37 PM
I lost a three-month-old mini pinscher puppy named Snoopy about a decade ago when he didn't recover from a hernia operation. :(

Gem
1st April 2009, 07:51 PM
sorry to hear that - was ot cause of the anasthetic?

LucyDog
2nd April 2009, 02:02 AM
Charlie Brown has an umbilical cord hernia as well. The vet said she will repair it when he goes in for his neuter surgery. He is scheduled for this coming Friday. I don't think it is a huge deal to repair it. I think it is more putting them under anesthesia that is the concern. Mr. Brown has to be fixed though because I don't want to deal with an intact male marking and we also signed a contract with the breeder agreeing to have him neutered. While he's under he also will have two puppy teeth extracted that have not fallen out even though the permanent teeth have come in and he will have a microchip implanted. I think poor Charlie Brown will be feeling pretty lousy by Friday afternoon after having all of these procedures, but I would rather get them done at once than have to put him under again.

linderbelle
2nd April 2009, 03:14 PM
bondgirl--i'm so sorry. What was the cause if I so may ask?

I have 4 dogs and all 4 had hernias. I'm beginning to wonder what the percentage of dogs that DON'T have them??? lol On all 4 they were fixed when they were neutered/spayed.

lorebringer
2nd April 2009, 04:09 PM
I currently have a chap with an umbilical hernia, was going to get it sorted when he was being neutered but the vet decided that there was no need. It looks much worse than it is (big bump/lump on his belly), but is quite a small hernia, and it's causing him (and should never cause him) any problems. He doesn't even notice when it is touched and or when the vet had a poke at it.

If you would prefer to get it removed then talk to your vet about it, but it may just be a cosmetic problem and not need anything done to it.

JerseyCav
2nd April 2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks all. I spoke to my vet and he agreed - no big deal. :)

Molly's mom
13th April 2009, 03:38 AM
Has anyone had the presence of a hernia be a problem when getting health insurance? Thanks

rajacadoo
13th April 2009, 06:30 AM
My Basenji has a small hernia, the breeder told me that it was fine and the vets checked it out and said he wouldn't be bothered by it.

heather r
13th April 2009, 09:14 PM
Our 9 month old cav had hernia which vet repaired for $40 while spaying our dog.

None of our goldens nor lab have had such problem.

Heather R

lesjoanne
26th April 2009, 08:12 PM
My Tanner has an umbilical hernia which we knew about from the breeder. We have just left it, even after he has been neutered, as it causes him no problems at all