• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winston and his poor anal glands and allergies

chloe92us

Over the weekend, Winn spent most of his time with a cone on his head. Friday during the night he started chewing on his hind end and pulling out the hair and making himself bleed. Finally got him to the vet this morning and he had an infected gland, so he got a shot and some pills to take.

His skin is also a little pink so the vet thinks he may be allergic to something.. . I switched from Orijen to Natural Balance about 2 weeks ago trying to save a little money....but it looks like I'll be switching back.

So much for trying to save money...now I have to go buy another bag of food + a $100 vet bill.... :(

Aw poor lad & poor you. ive heard before that they chew their paws if their anal glands are bothering them, back in Nov i had to take Ruby to vets cos shed made a right mess of her paw chewing at it, she got cream for the paw & vet did her anal glands whilst we were there. no more paw chewing! then a few days later i was telling a friend whos had cavs for years, she laughed & said if youd have told me before i could have told you she needed glands doing! i never know how often to get them done as an average but at the 1st sign of chewing paws she'll be in to get them done! Lol

Yep, I know that feeling. Maddie chews at her back legs if her glands need emptying (she doesn't ever scoot across the floor), and had an impacted infected one in the past. This was discovered not by us observing her, but by Pippin becoming obsessed with the glands area (as opposed to he girly bits :eek:) sniffing loads. So of course I investigated to see what could possibly be so interesting and there it was, a lump the size of a pea.
Pippin chews his tail fur off if his glands need doing, but he does scoot almost every day as well.

I never know how often to get it done, but probably average about once every 6 wks - 2months.

Poor Winston, I do sympathise. Bobby was scooting this weekend and seemed to have constipation. Sat eve he kept trying to 'go' with nothing happening. By Sunday eve he did not want us to touch his back end. Yesterday he had to have op as has anal gland absess on both sides.:eek: Poor Bobby has the sorest bum in the whole world. Hope he can come home later today:xfngr:

Hi tupup

Just read your comment ,chews their paw if they have an anal gland problem.:confused:

As when the girls come upstairs first thing in the morning ,Rosie always chewed her paws a lot before she settled down and I also noted she scooted up and down the hall carpet a lot more than the other two .They were all groomed about 3 weeks ago ,they go every 8-10 weeks and the new lady groomer i always ask her as part of the groom to check all their glands and having 3 Cavs we always seem to be at the vets fairly regular so they are all checked there fairly often ,but shes seems to been fine over the last couple of weeks ,but I never would have made the association between her chewing her paws and a possible anal gland problem so thanks for your comment I will keep a closer eye on her .
Its amazing how just browsing through the posts you read somebodies comment and the bells start ringing ,anybody any other comments on this link of chewed paws and problem glands.:confused:

When I took Maddie to the vets once, she was chewing at her back legs and her paws. I thought it was her allergies playing up more than usual - but it was her anal glands. The vet explained that the sensation (pain/ irritation) isn't "pin-point" but generalised all over the back end. So they chew in the general region of the affected area. Something to do with the sensory nerve pathways and number of nerve endings.

Back