• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New health schemes

frecklesmom

Kennel Club and BVA Re-Launch Health Schemes

March 30, 2009 by K9 Magazine News Editor

The BVA/Kennel Club Canine Health Schemes (CHS) have been branded and re-launched following a review that commenced in March 2006 and saw the formation of a joint management committee to oversee their development.
Commenting on the review BVA President Nicky Paull said: “With the recent publicity over pedigree dogs the re-launch of the CHS is timely. The dedicated ‘health zone’ at Crufts earlier this month provided us with a perfect opportunity to raise awareness and encourage uptake of the schemes to breeders and the imminent British Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress provides an equally ideal environment for promoting the schemes to the profession.
“In response to concerns expressed by both breeders and vets we are currently looking into investing in equipment to read digital submissions, increasing access to health screening and looking to develop new schemes including one to address heart problems and another for syringomyelia.
“There are a number of initiatives currently being developed, not least those being explored by the BVA Animal Welfare Foundation, to identify practical solutions to the problems associated with breeding in dogs. The BVA/KC CHS are, however, already in place but, in many breeds, underused. Our message to both breeders and the veterinary profession is quite simple - the CHS are here and by using them you can assist in identifying, sometimes painful, inherited defects in dogs.”

I'm delighted that the BVA/KC are workiing together on new projects. Obviously the schemes for heart problems & syringomyelia are of great importance to cavaliers.

My contact with the Kennel Club has made me aware that there has been a more than laissez faire attitude towards health matters. When I see that this review and re-launch, of what are a very few KC/BVA health schemes, has taken three years to complete, I am really glad that PDE was made.

Margaret C

Back