• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Allergy season's started

MadPip

Poor Maddie has started scratching. This is due to tree pollens, and about a month earlier than usual. :(:( I've been speaking to some friends who are hayfever sufferers, and they've also started with symptoms.

So the antihistamines have been started, and the fur is coming off in lumps, but it hasn't started to affect her eating yet. Hopefully we won't get as bad as last year. :xfngr:

Poor little thing, is it too much to hope for that if it starts earlier it will finish earlier? Although we still have the grass pollens to cope with, which are even worse. :(

Poor Maddie - I've got them especially bad this year, I've been popping allergy pills like candy.
Hope she feels better soon!

Jen and Ilsa

Poor Maddie. Teddy, bless his soul, used to get awful allergies. My best solution was oatmeal baths for him. Oh he loved them.

Update on allergies

:updte:

We were keeping on top of the allergies - until 1 1/2 weeks ago, when the rape seed came into bloom.:( This part of the country is full of fields of the stuff. I wish they'd grow something else. Maddie has been scratching and scratching, she's almost red raw, and after another trip to the vets she is now on steroids. Prednacare 2mg a day for 5 days, then down to 1mg a day for 5 days, then 1mg a day every other day for as long as necessary.
One days dose has already reduced the itching/ scratching, and we have fuciderm to put on the affected areas. :( She's lost loads of fur, but I'm sure it will grow back soon. I can't wait until we go to Scotland in July, as she doesn't seem to scratch up there. Maybe we should move :biggrin:

I really feel for Maddie! I personally have terrible seasonal allergies that have gotten worse as I've gotten older... Now at age 33, I suddenly have itchy stinging eyes this spring! And I wear contacts which makes my eyes even more painful! I'm on Zyrtec year round at this point, unfortunately the area of Missouri I live in is considered the allergy capital of the US! :(
Luckily our cav has not had any allergies so far....

Tawna

Allergies are horrible whether you're human or canine. I don't usually suffer, but even I have had itchy eyes and blocked nose this year. I guess it's a bad year.:( We'll probably look at putting Maddie on steroids every summer (May - August) if she's going to just get worse each year. And I'll carry on trying some more natural remedies alongside to try and lessen some of the symptoms.

I really feel for Maddie! I personally have terrible seasonal allergies that have gotten worse as I've gotten older... Now at age 33, I suddenly have itchy stinging eyes this spring! And I wear contacts which makes my eyes even more painful! I'm on Zyrtec year round at this point, unfortunately the area of Missouri I live in is considered the allergy capital of the US! :(
Luckily our cav has not had any allergies so far....

Tawna

Aw, Tawna, I have lived in Kansas and Missouri when I was a young child (my dad was military) and again when I was 30 (my ex-husband was military, too). Both times I had SOOO much trouble with allergies. My eyes would be glued shut in the mornings with matter and I stayed sick with sinus infections, itchy eyes, etc. One of my triggers (among others) was the cottonwood trees. WHile I have some allergies here in the east, I am so much better off than I was in Kansas or Missouri!
Good luck getting through allergy season.

Back