• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Okay to feed strawberries?

chloe92us

I have been giving the dogs strawberries lately and they love them! Just wanted to make sure they're okay.

All four of mine LOVE strawberries. It would be a sad day around here if they are off limits. Luckily, we've never had a problem with them. Unfortunately for the dogs, all the humans in this house also love strawberries so they don't get too many.

my vet tells me that a general rule of thumb for dogs and humans is no berries as pups/youngin's. Teddy, bless his soul, loved his berries. We have a strawberry bush that he loved to raid over the summer for a snack...

The following foods may be dangerous to your pet:
(Humane Society of US website)
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Apple seeds
  • Apricot pits
  • Avocados—toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle and dairy goats
  • Cherry pits
  • Candy (particularly chocolate, which is toxic to dogs, cats and ferrets, and any candy containing the sweetener Xylitol)
  • Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
  • Grapes
  • Hops (used in home beer brewing)
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Moldy foods
  • Mushroom plants
  • Mustard seeds
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Peach pits
  • Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
  • Raisins
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Salt
  • Tea (caffeine)
  • Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
  • Walnuts
  • Yeast dough
No strawberries listed! I have heard that it can cause loose stools, or upset stomach! Never given them to my animals. Guess if they enjoy them, in moderation its fine!!!(y)

Guess if they enjoy them, in moderation its fine!!!

That's the key.....I'd never give them a whole pint....yuck!! But a strawberry here and there and a few blueberries...no problem.

Winston is on antibiotics for his infected anal glands and they're in a capsule form and can be placed perfectly inside a strawberry since they're rather soft and I can just push the pill right into the middle of one. That's how this all started. So they're his pill pockets, so to speak!

aww i hope winston gets better soon poor lad it must be so painful, it makes you wince just thinking about it! Thanks Mellie for that list, ive something similar in my vets book but im sure theres new ones on your list. in my book it says coffee grounds but sometimes Ruby gets stuck into my coffee mug-especially if its frothy coffee!! i only ever have decaff in both tea & coffee & on a cold day i make her her own cup of tea. is this really bad? she's always been fine but now im wondering..

Back