• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

picking my pup up in a week :) more Q's

kelly00

hello! have thought about a few more questions, the first about name, i have narrowed it down to molly or roxy... any ideas on which to go for cos i cant decide!

Also want to take out insurance, any advide on a good company in the uk? what as cheap as possible but dont want to get caught out if i dont have enough cover and still get stuck with vet bills!!

We've always had Pet Plan on our cavaliers. Can't fault them at all, saved us a fortune in the past.

Get the best one you can afford pet plan is good go for live cover if possible
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie----Jake)

Congratulations on your new baby....how exciting. I have Pet Plan to and no complaints.

I know a lot of dogs named Molly so I would go with Roxie. It's kind of a sassy name - does she have lots of personality? Molly seems like a more subdued name. So I would think about what kind of dog she is even though she's only a pup. I knew Oz was a firecracker from the moment I saw him at 5 weeks old. And he still is!!

We have Petprotect for Leo. They paid out a huge bill recently with no quibble at all.What ever you decide make sure you get "Life time cover". Some insurances only cover the illness for the first year, so if your cav developed epilepsy or diabetes for example after the first year you'd have to pay all the vet bills.
My vet recommended petprotect to me and they've been very good.

Mel

Congratulations - I bet you can`t wait for the big day. I also have Pet Plan, you definately would need liftime cover, they are not the cheapest, I have recently had to claim for a lifetime illness - MVD and have had no problems with the claim. Both names are really nice.

Bet your excited, and youve so much to learn, least your in the right place.

as for insurance, i got the cheapest thinking its only there for an emergency and ill never use it, wrong, Harley has hip dyplasia and there is no way they will cover it all, its 3,000 per year per illness. So after a years treatment they stop paying and for the rest of his life for that illness. Im am going to get a better insurance for not that much more, axa do a good one, its worth looking around and the cheapest prob isnt good enough. Im switching to axa once harleys had his operation as they wont cover pre-exsisting illnesses, no one does, but nether will churchill once august is here, and only up to 3,000 which i think the operation will cost, not to mention all the treatment he has had so far, like xrays, and consultaions, pain killers etc.

Hi

I have 3 girls and cover for life with Petplan was costing around £900 a year last year thanks to Puline same level of cover ie for life with AXA £380 ,saved £500 easy and the added benefit a uk call centre ,the excess is the same and I have made 2 claims and paid within 10 days .Honest Petplan is an expensive rip off they are not even an insurance company they farm it out and add a huge mark up and most vets push it as they get a good kick back and also my cats are with AXA :)

Can recommend Petplan as they do a 'for life' cover.They have always paid up promptly, and if its a large amount they pay directly to the vet no probs. Wish we'd had Bobby insured ' cos last w/e he had an anal gland prob which by Monday had abscessed on both sides resulting in op which set us back £937:eek::eek:. He's a darling, and has healed so well that stitches and drain tubes are gone, so all he has to show for it now is a bare bum:) ........ IF he'd been insured the max we would have paid would have been £90 so insurance is well worth it.

Hi,
Congrats on you new pup, bet you can't wait :). Both Molly and Roxy are sweet names and if you can't decide toss a coin - heads for Molly tails for Roxy :lol:.

I would highly recommend you use insurance from day one. Jasper as always had insurance (petplan) and I don't want to witch myself but I haven't used it :xfngr: I will not need to. Gabby though was not insured and she developed a problem, she is now insured with Axa but her problem is not included in the insurance.

Can't wait to see pics of her :).

Both of mine are covered under Pet Plan. The insurance is not cheap....but it's the best available and after the illnesses we've been through I feel totally covered. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a check a week ago for $950.00 from there towards Shelby's dental extractions. I wasn't expecting anything much but what a nice surprise that was! The main reason I have it is for serious illness, accidents and diseases.

i have ben looking into insurance, thanks for everyones advice youve been so helpful!!

I got a quote from tesco: 15.34 a month (60 excess)
Each condition is covered up to a maximum of £4,000, with no time limit on claiming (so long as the policy is live)

Also looked into AXA who quated me 15.79 a month (75 excess)
All reasonable costs for Treatment of Your Pet by a Vet up to £7,000 per period of insurance. General Exclusions: Continuation claims unless You have paid the premiums to keep the Policy in force. (im assuming that means they cover for life as long as you continue payments??)

So as long as i am right in thinking axa will cover for life they are the best deal i have found! Altho thinking about they only pay 7,000 a year where as tesco pay per condition...this is very confusing!!

Still havnt decided on a name, thought id let me 2 year old son decide but he cant say molly, it comes out as lolly, but we can work on that! she did seem quite a character when i met her so maybe roxy would suit her better, think i will wait til i get her home then decide! thanks again for all your comments!

Just looked at argos as well, i can get their platinum cover for 13.16 a month, upto 7,000 per incident, no limit on treatment period! best deal yet!

I like Roxy as a name. How exciting!!
Jasper's insurance has been refered to the underwriters because I was honest and said he'd had kennel cough whilst in rescue!! Still waiting to hear back from the company - Pinnacle, so I'm having a re-think & may go with petplan.

i just did a quote on argos and it works out slightly more expensive for harley than axa, same sort of cover, di

Just looked at argos as well, i can get their platinum cover for 13.16 a month, upto 7,000 per incident, no limit on treatment period! best deal yet!
I have got Argos they pay out very quickly there excess is £75 and is Platinum with life time cover (y)
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

You are lucky you have a choice! As far as I know - and I would love to be corrected - we only have Petplan in Ireland, which I have had no problems with, but there's nothing like a bit of competition to keep them on the ball:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back