• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Petition for UK Cavalier Club Members

Margaret C

I was sent the petition below today.

Apparently it was being taken around at the Southern Club Championship Show yesterday and a great many exhibitors were more than happy to add their signatures.

The Petition Organiser hopes that Cavalier Club members, who would like to see the SM breeding recommendations added to the Code of Ethics, will copy and sign the short message.

List members may know Club members that would be interested in signing.

Emails will not suffice (physical signatures are needed ) so signed copies should be posted asap to:-

Margaret Carter,
47 The Ryde,
Hatfield,
Herts, AL9 5DQ

I will make sure the letters are passed on.

Margaret C

PETITION

To incorporate recommended SM Breeding Guidlines into CKCS Club Code of Ethics

We, the undersigned, are concerned at the decision - not to formally adopt the SM breeding guidlines into the Code of Ethics - taken at the recent CKCS Club AGM 2009, and therefore request the Committee re-present this proposal at the next opportunity.

DATE

NAME

SIGNATURE

MEMBERSHIP NUMBER

I was sent the petition below today.

Apparently it was being taken around at the Southern Club Championship Show yesterday and a great many exhibitors were more than happy to add their signatures.

The Petition Organiser hopes that Cavalier Club members, who would like to see the SM breeding recommendations added to the Code of Ethics, will copy and sign the short message.

List members may know Club members that would be interested in signing.

Emails will not suffice (physical signatures are needed ) so signed copies should be posted asap to:-

Margaret Carter,
47 The Ryde,
Hatfield,
Herts, AL9 5DQ

I will make sure the letters are passed on.

Margaret C

PETITION

To incorporate recommended SM Breeding Guidlines into CKCS Club Code of Ethics

We, the undersigned, are concerned at the decision - not to formally adopt the SM breeding guidlines into the Code of Ethics - taken at the recent CKCS Club AGM 2009, and therefore request the Committee re-present this proposal at the next opportunity.

DATE

NAME

SIGNATURE

MEMBERSHIP NUMBER

Thanks Margaret
Mine will be winging it's way to Hatfield pronto.

Nanette:rah::rah::rah::rah::rah::rah::rah:

Thank you Nanette.

Tomorrow I will be sending copies of the petition to the Cavalier Club members who contacted me after I was interviewed on the documentary.

There seems to be a few misleading statements being made about the petition and the events that led up to it.....

I was at the AGM. There was no unanimous vote to refer the proposal to include the SM recommendations in the CoE to a liaison meeting.

1. There was not one vote at that AGM that was unanimous.

2. The vote was on a proposal to remove the SM recommendations from the CoE, thereby reversing a decision already passed.

There would have been no reason for a regional club health representative to read out the opening lines of the guidelines, and announce " I rest my case" if Gordon Inglis' proposal had merely been to send the inclusion of SM guidelines to liaison.

3. The proposal that was voted to go forward for discussion at that liaison meeting was a suggestion that club health representatives meet together to discuss all health decisions.
(An idea that sounds good, but in practice will serve only to delay any initiative on health matters by many months)

There were 35 people voted for the second proposal, some have come up with different excuses why lack of information, lack of paperwork, lack of consultation caused them to vote as they did. Now they have changed the identity of the proposal they voted for.

None of them have the courage to stand up and defend what they did.

Margaret C

Sorry I was wrong...

It was actually 37 people that voted to remove the SM recommendations, from the Code of Ethics.

I requested the exact words of the amendment, as minuted on the day of the AGM, from the Cavalier Club Secretary.

This is the reply......

Mr Inglis proposed an amendment "that Appendix C, which referred to SM recommended guidelines be deleted and with this amendment the code of ethics be approved." Mrs Barwell seconded the proposal.
A vote was taken
For Mr Inglis’ amendment – 37, Against – 10, Abstentions – 8 The motion was carried.

The reply goes on to say that a member suggested that the matter be discussed at the Liaison meeting. He commented that for many years he had endeavoured to devise a common code of ethics with which all the clubs would agree to. Without a common Code of Ethics nothing could be achieved.

For those that don't know, the Liaison meeting is an informal meetiing of all ten cavalier clubs. Anything discussed must be taken back to the individual club committees and, if agreed, each club will put forward a proposal at their next AGM.
Most, if not all, the regional clubs have already held their 2009 AGMs, so Mr Inglis' amendment will stand until 2010.

Margaret C

so Mr Inglis' amendment will stand until 2010

And in the words if the infamous health rep, "I rest MY case".

How do these people, who cannot even make a gesture of APPEARING to support good health in the breed, sleep at night?

How many puppies will be born in that time that will suffer?

How many from prominent breeders who knew they had bred their dogs to affected sires and made that choice anyway?

How many from prominent (or infamous) breeders who get as much stud money as possible from their show champion males before retiring them when symptoms appear, or quickly sell them on abroad when the fact that they are affected with SM and producing affected puppies becomes common knowledge in show circles (and even to those of us outside them)? Without ever informing anyone that they produced an affected dog? Which many in the show world conspiracy agree to cover up with their "don't ask, don't tell" mentality?

How do people live with themselves while knowingly inflicting pain on this lovely breed and showing total indifference to the families who will buy and love their puppies and end up watching some of them suffer and die early from afflications that could be significantly reduced if they didn't care so much for money and show trophies? Do they read the SM and MVD discussion lists? Support groups? Forum sections? Do they care?

The same people tell us to focus on puppy farms, not their breeding approaches, when they are no better than the most heartless puppy farmer. They are as guilty of exploiting the breed for their own selfish ends and caring as little for what either the dogs will ultimately suffer, or the families who buy a loved companion only to watch that companion suffer and go to an early grave.

Those who care about this breed and who do not wish to see it vanish MUST act against this calculated cruelty.

And finally, for those breeders who insist breeding for good health is, as you so often say on the discussion lists, "a crap shoot" -- funny how you spend thousands of your own money carefully selecting sires and dams to produce your show puppies, then. Surely you could just throw together any two dogs in this "crap shoot" and hope for that champion dog? Surely breeding based on outward appearance is irrelevant, since you apparently think health testing and breeding for health is? Why is breeding for appearance any different from breeding for health (outside of the immediate rewards to your trophy shelf and pocket)?

Here here to that especially the bit about do they even care! I dont understand a lot of the politics of this but at least try to:) Are there any petitions that just anyone can sign & send or is it only for members? i for one feel uncomfortable sitting back waiting for these people to get themselves in order whilst our little ones suffer

You could join the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, that way you would have a vote. (do not know if you would be to late to vote on this one) You do not need to be a breeder or attend dog shows.

Nanette

Maybe someone should start a non-club member petition as well. After all we are the people who spend our money on those puppies. Without the pet buyers, most show breeders could not pursue their hobby. Don't underestimate your influence.

I just feel sad that the actions of this crowd end up tarring the health focused breeders (of all breeds) as well and continuously damage the club when it is trying to address the situation, and the breed (as many breeders of other breeds made clear in their comments on the Dog World articles about how the club membership voted down these recommendations on SM). The good folks are real, and often unsung, heroes.

Margaret Is the gentleman that wrote the letter to the Dog World "Breeders need to smarten up" Alan Wood, do you think he is the same person who is standing for parliament? if so he maybe able to help the non members start a petition, just a thought.

Nanette

Back