• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hypoallergenic Dog Food

vicarrieous

Does anyone feed their dogs hypoallergenic dry dog food? We are still having issues with Albie's itching and the next step is to switch to what our vet says is a "true" hypoallergenic food. We had already switched him to Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice which to me is a higher quality food but she wants to switch him again to a "true" hypoallergenic food. She is suggesting a Hills or Purina brand that her office sells but I would like some input before I choose one of those or one on my own. I feel like she is suggesting these because this is what her office offers.

Any advice?

Does anyone feed their dogs hypoallergenic dry dog food? We are still having issues with Albie's itching and the next step is to switch to what our vet says is a "true" hypoallergenic food. We had already switched him to Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice which to me is a higher quality food but she wants to switch him again to a "true" hypoallergenic food. She is suggesting a Hills or Purina brand that her office sells but I would like some input before I choose one of those or one on my own. I feel like she is suggesting these because this is what her office offers.

Any advice?

This is what is in Hills Z/D Ultra Allergen Free:

I see BHA-- isn't that suspected in causing cancer? Oh, worse Ethoxyquin-- that sounds bad too. Most of the treats I buy my dogs advertise no ethoxyquin

Starch, hydrolyzed chicken liver, vegetable oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), powdered cellulose, hydrolyzed chicken, glyceryl monostearate, DL-methionine, taurine, ethoxyquin (a preservative), minerals (dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

I'd make my own food and throw in a good dog vitamin before I'd feed this. This is just my own opinion. I am not a vet, or a canine nutritionist.

I would try Wellness Simple Food Solutions if you live in the USA-- It has one protein and one carb.
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_simple_food_solutions_index.html

Thanks for the suggestions! I have done some online research and havent found any of the Burns here in the US but the Wellness looks like a good option. I am really hoping we can find another solution besides a food change because they really LOVE their food right now. Before we switched to Blue Buffalo they were really finnicky eaters and now they are bounding around when its dinner time.

Do you know of anywhere where you can order the Wellness Simple Solutions online? I see a few vendors where I live but I dont think they carry the Simple Solutions line.

Thanks!

Where do you live Carrie? My local pet store carries Burns and the whole Wellness line. I tried Burns though and it gave Oz terrible smelling gas. Didn't bother him,but it sure grossed us humans out!!

Give Arden Grange a ring, harley is on there light range, and its hypoallergenic, my vet can get it for me, they do an online service too, they have a great website, and well send you some sample to try it out first, harley loves it and he has lost weight on it, obviously you feed according to your dog, ie if they are ok weight wise you can feed a larger amount. di

http://www.ardengrange.com/Pet-Food/light-dog-food.asp

Thanks for the suggestions! I have done some online research and havent found any of the Burns here in the US but the Wellness looks like a good option. I am really hoping we can find another solution besides a food change because they really LOVE their food right now. Before we switched to Blue Buffalo they were really finnicky eaters and now they are bounding around when its dinner time.

Do you know of anywhere where you can order the Wellness Simple Solutions online? I see a few vendors where I live but I dont think they carry the Simple Solutions line.

Thanks!

They have a store locator at the Wellness Simple Food Solution website or I buy my harder to find dry dog food at pet food direct. They send me 13-25% off email offers and that covers about 30% to 70% of the shipping fee. I try to wait until my brand is on sale-- which sometimes ALMOST pays for shipping (between the sale and the % off).

The "true" hypoallergenic foods that your vet recommended use hydrolyzed proteins so that your dogs body won't recognize them as allergens. Unfortunately, as already pointed out, they use some pretty nasty stuff that I'd never feed my dog in them as well.

The key to getting figuring out what is causing the itchies is to do an elimination diet. You need to find a dog food with unique proteins; something you've never fed them before and therefore they can't be allergic to. So a chicken and rice diet will NOT work if you've ever fed chicken (and chicken is almost ubiquitous in dog foods.) Same goes with lamb now that they're on a lamb and rice diet. Have they ever had duck? (even as treats??) Venison? Fish? You may have to go all the way to kangaroo to find something they've never had before! Let us know and we can help point you to an appropriate food for an elimination diet.

(there's always the home-cooked or raw options too...)

I agree that they have some not so nice stuff in them. I have yet to hear back from my vet but when she calls I do want to stress that I would prefer to use a different formula. Do you think she will go along with this?

My other concern is that he may not have a protein allergy therefore the other ingredients in the food may be the problem. I really just want him better.

Have any of you dealt with food allergies? Can they effect the ears also?

I agree that they have some not so nice stuff in them. I have yet to hear back from my vet but when she calls I do want to stress that I would prefer to use a different formula. Do you think she will go along with this?

My other concern is that he may not have a protein allergy therefore the other ingredients in the food may be the problem. I really just want him better.

Have any of you dealt with food allergies? Can they effect the ears also?

Will your vet go along with it?? Depends on the vet. Some are "do it their way or you get attitude'', others are more like "we will work this out together''.

This is why I'd try a single protein and a single grain feedings. If it gets WORSE-- you can have your answer fast.

Yes, allergies can be linked to gunky ears.

The thing is-- your dog may be sensitive to more than one food/ or environmental cause. For example, I am allergic to cats and I have hay fever. During hay fever season I am 10 times more allergic to cats. There seems to be a threshold, you pass it, you suffer more.

Has the vet ever given you anything to help the dog deal with allergy itchies? Even Benedril?

Nope she hasnt given us anything. It has been a really frustrating journey.

I first expressed my concerns when we had our 1 year checkup. I had noticed an increase in itching and some scabs around his head and ears. He itches mainly around his ears/head/armpits and gnaws on his front and back legs. She said his skin looked fine, a little pink in the armpits, but wasnt concerned. Everything was normal and if we were really concerned to switch to a food that was Lamb or Salmon based so we switched to Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown Rice.

After about 6 weeks I saw no improvement and was concerned that he was itching more and had more scabs. She said she couldnt do anything until we brought him in. After examining him she said his ears looked a little irritated and he had some excess wax. They did a test and found ONE mite egg. So she said before we do anything else we should treat him for mites and our other dog too. (I was a little skeptical since our dogs rarely have close contact with other dogs or cats and Kip our other dog has had NO syptoms whatsoever. Plus only one ear seemed irritated and he had had these issues for roughly 2-3 months) I agreed and put both on Revolution to clear up the mites, did a total clean out of the house and dog bedding and waited the 2 weeks to see if things cleared up.

Now three weeks later, there has been no change and I almost think the gnawing has gotten worse. His scabs are gone but his ear seems more irritated and has a distinct soured meat smell. I called her twice last week but she was busy and then called me when I was at work to say we should try a food trial. I have been trying to call her because I have numerous other questions about dealing with his ear problem, if it is an ear infection or if the mites could still be there or if its something else. I am also kind of purturbed because she already suggested switching his food which we did and now she is saying that that wasnt really the way to do it although that is how she told us to do it.

I pretty muched called today to find out that she will be gone until Thursday. I told the office to have another vet call me or I would be taking him to another vet. I feel like such a horrible mom when I see him itch and there is nothing I can do because I am waiting on my vet to call. I have been wiping out his ear with warm water and cleaning it and it isnt terrible but I dont want to wait until its horrible and really bothering him. I guess I am just too impatient and want more help and I feel like she isnt offering it.

From here I guess I wait the rest of the day to see if SOMEONE calls me or I try a new vet. I really like her bedside manor and the dogs like her a lot I guess I feel like I am more aggressive about finding a solution then they are and I am worried about starting all over again with a new vet that is farther away. The vet bills just keep getting higher and higher!

Awe Carrie, I know you must be completely frustrated. It's so hard to watch them uncomfortable and feel helpless about it. Hopefully your vet is in touch soon (or you decide to go ahead and try another vet.) Until then, some suggestions:

Benadryl really can make them feel better. It's not a permanent solution, but for now may help. 1-2mg/lb body weight up to every 8hrs. 1 normal tablet (25mg) will work for most Cavs.

Food allergies can certainly be the cause of (or an irritating factor in) the gunky ears. My parents GSD has been struggling with chronic ear infections for over a year and only now that they've switched to an "allergy diet" are they clearing up! Also, I don't know about others here but I wouldn't suggest wiping the ears with warm water...usually the aim is to dry out the ears. I use a cleaner from the vet but have heard of a vinegar solution (anyone??)

Have you thought about which proteins your dogs haven't yet been exposed to? There are now a lot of good options for single protein "allergy" diets...the key is figuring out which works for your pup.

Thanks for the support Shell. Still no call which is very depressing. Thanks for the advice about drying out the ears. I wiped them out again today with a dry cloth just to clean up some of the gunk. If we switch I am hoping to go to a fish diet since the oils I hear are good for their coat. I am wondering though if I should switch them both. Kip is fine but it would be easier to feed them both the same thing. Although with my luck lately I will switch and Albie will get better and Kip will get sick!

Any suggestions on brands/foods? The Wellness looked like a good option but so far I have only found one place that carries it and it isnt the one I wanted it.

Quick disclaimer: I don't feed any of these foods but they do meet the goal of single, potentially novel protein and single or no grain source.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/ORIJEN6fish.aspx (1 protein, 1 carb...I DID actually feed this when I wasn't feeding raw, dogs loved it and did great on it)

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com (the Pacific Stream may be good...one protein, one carb)

http://www.naturalbalance.net/dogformulas/allergy.html (they have a fish and potato formula)

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1326 (only 1 protein but 3 carb sources)

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Dog.html (Try the duck, or the 3 fish formula?)

I'll try to find more, but this should be good to start...

Thanks for all the suggestions Shell! The vet (not my normal one but another from the same office called) and we will be meeting with her tomorrow. I am optomistic that she will be able to help and get us on the right path to clearing up Albies issues! I will let you all know what happens and thanks for listening/reading!

We just got back from the vet and was happy with the results. They found that he had a mild yeast infection which we will be treating with ear drops twice a day. Then for his allergies they suggested adding an Omega Fatty Oils to his diet and giving him an antihistamine tablet twice a day. We are hoping to see improvements in a few days. Keeping our fingers crossed!

Back