• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Slugs and Snails

MadPip

Just read this today in both the hard copy of our local paper and also on the online version

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/southend/4265482.Dogs_are_getting_ill_from_slug_parasite/

This is getting too close for comfort!

Our garden gets covered with slugs each year (north facing, clay soil, damp most of the year except when it's hard as concrete and cracked :() and although Maddie and Pippin don't eat them, they do sometimes get them caught in their fur, and try and clean/ lick them off. I guess we're going to have to be extra vigilant, and also OH will have to start to do a regular slug patrol. Any other suggestions for getting rid of them without harming the dogs?

Be sure you stay up to date on proper wormers.

Hand picking off slugs tends to be the best way to clear them (and snails). I throw them in a bucket of soapy water which kills them quickly.

We have a slug "trap" that we fill with beer (it's covered so the dogs can't get in - well I'll have to watch Max this year - Mindy and Zeus left it alone). The slugs are attracted and crawl in and drown.

Yes, hand picking is definitely the safest method. By the way, wearing gloves is OK!!!

I just wanted to add that snail bait is extremely toxic to dogs (and cats).

It's a classic poison (esp. in the ER setting), which I mention regularly in my newsletter, accessible for free on my web site.

drphilzeltzman (doggie surgeon)
www.drphilzeltzman.com

Back