• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing her ears!

brotymo

Hi everyone! I have been rather scarce lately. Just SOOO busy lately with school and working. My oldest daughter has also been sick a LOT with strep. She is having her tonsils out next week. I hope once she is healed she won't have the constant sickness.

But, here is my cavalier issue...To be barely 7 months old, Lizzie has the most gorgeous ears, but she chews them and is ruining them! Since we are showing, I don't want her to do that! I have to put spray bitter spray in them several times a day to keep her from chewing them, but she has still managed to chew them and chew out a few places. Usually she does this if they get damp (dragging around in the dewy grass, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions to get her to stop!?

These pictures were actually taken when she was right at 6 months old.

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

She is beautiful !!

thank you! I'd just like to keep her ears that way. We went to a show weekend before last, and the night before the show, she chewed off a section in the middle of the night. I actually sleep with her, and I finally woke up when I felt her moving around. Luckily I stopped her when I did or she might have done way more damage!. It looks like someone snipped off a hunk of her hair with ragged scissors.

Lizzie is so sweet. I hope someone has some good advice about the ear chewing- my Jato does the same thing! He lays on his side and takes his paw and "combs" his ear into his mouth. Sometimes he will just walk around with an ear in his mouth- it looks so funny, but it makes me :mad:. Once in a while I will find little curls in his bed that he has chewed off. :bang:

A book I have on training cavaliers recommended "a tiny amount of hot pepper powder"[p58]. Just rub it in to the black parts of the ear.

I know Karlin will disagree so I will post the title and author. I'm just relaying what the books said.

Your Happy Healthy Pet
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
2nd Edition

By Norma Moffat

ISBN 0471748234

Last edited:
Alfs used to suck his ears,he never actully chewded them.We would go to cuddle him and they would be all wet and soggy.He grew out of it in the end.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get her to stop!?

Do you think she is chewing any food that has been left in her ears? If so you could try her with a snood on. She is lovely but it is a nightmare when they have such long ears and they decide to chew them. I used to have the problem of the other dogs chewing the ears off the one I wanted to show:eek:

Nanette

I was just about to post about this myself!Scarlett started chewing her ears only lately I thought there was something wrong with her..she lies on the ground and has her ear in her mouth or walks around with it in her mouth. I hope you get some good advice!

It's possible that she may be trying to chew something left from dinner. Do you use a snood for meals? That might be worth a try.

Back