• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nutro Natural Choice for Seniors

lisanne74

Ok well Tyler my 11 year old cav was ill with diarrhea and loose stool so my vet and I decided after a cycle of Flaygl to change his food from Eukanuba Adult Dog food to Nutro Natural Choice for Senior dogs .....so we did slowly introduce the new food as per directed by Dr. ..Tyler was fine he loves the food much better than his old one no side effects nothing.......Heres the thing I was wondering if anyone feeds thier dog this food ...and I decided to google Nutro and absoulutly freaked out!!They have terrifying stories about this food killing dogs and making them very Ill ....I rang my vet who assured me this was a safe and great food for my dogs needs ...what would you do ???

I've been using Nutro for about 7 years. My dogs kept having problems with the foods I tried (all high quality,not grocery store). I was always very careful when I would change their food but after about 3 or 4 weeks they would start having diahrrea as if they were allergic to something in the food. A co-worker suggested Nutro and I've never had a problem. I do remember there was a shortage last year but never heard anything about health problems at that time. I would not change now just because of the postings on the internet. I hope this helps.

Also,Nutro foods use Vitamin E as a preservative instead of some of the chemicals used by other brands. I thinks that is what my dogs might have been sensitive to.

DeeDee
mom to Bailey and Mollie

Last edited:
Hi,
We feed Leo Nutro light. It was recommended to us when Leo was a pup because he stopped eating the Royal Canin.
He 2 1/2 now and thrives on it. I havent read about it causing problems!:eek: Anyway he has been on it for 2 years now.
Mel

My four older dogs ate Nutro Natural Choice Lamb Meal & Rice for many many years with no problems. It has no bi-products and even has glucosamine & chrondroitin for their joints, a lot of it in the senior for their old joints. ;) I actually used to work for Nutro a few years ago as a sales rep, but I can honestly say that it is a good food. The only reason we don't feed it now is that the price has gone up a lot and we are now feeding 5 dogs with the addition of our cav, Alice. We are trying a food similar to Nutro called Exclusive, that is cheaper. (We may eventually have to go back to Nutro if the trial doesn't go well.) The thing that cracks me up about all these super fancy foods is that they almost all have barley in them, which is NOT a very digestable grain AND it has always given my dogs REALLY BAD gas!!! :eek: I have read all that weird stuff online about people thinking the food is causing health issues and alls I can say is that if they really had proof of this I don't think Nutro would even be on the shelves any more. Granted, not every food is right for every dog but if it works for you then great! Most people are shocked to learn that most of the foods like Science Diet, some Pro Plan, and even some kinds of Eukanuba have by- products in them (head, feet, ANY part of the chicken!) The food you are feeding, the Nutro Senior is really good. It had real chicken and oatmeal which is easy on their stomach and helps their digestion. The only bad feedback I ever got when I was a sales rep for Nutro was that some dogs threw up on Nutro, it is too rich for some dogs, but then I have heard this about a lot of the premium foods. Hopefully it works out well for you! (y)

Tawna

Ok well Tyler my 11 year old cav was ill with diarrhea and loose stool so my vet and I decided after a cycle of Flaygl to change his food from Eukanuba Adult Dog food to Nutro Natural Choice for Senior dogs .....so we did slowly introduce the new food as per directed by Dr. ..Tyler was fine he loves the food much better than his old one no side effects nothing.......Heres the thing I was wondering if anyone feeds thier dog this food ...and I decided to google Nutro and absoulutly freaked out!!They have terrifying stories about this food killing dogs and making them very Ill ....I rang my vet who assured me this was a safe and great food for my dogs needs ...what would you do ???

Nutro wet dog food as well as a few others during the dog food poisoning a year or so back is probably where you are getting your info. A company that supplies part of the food was contaminated and ONLY the wet food was bad.

Back