• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coyote this morning

Cathy Moon

We just saw a coyote in the woods behind our house. While I love seeing wildlife, it is worrying to know there's a predator on the other side of the fence. Now I think I know how others feel, knowing the dogs aren't entirely safe!

We've seen MANY coyotes. You can hear them at night, which is bad enough. But to watch them walk the back fence is positively frightening. I can't imagine letting the dogs out unattended. We have a puppy, and I saw three hawks circling above our home last weekend. She would be a large meal for them-- yikes.

We've seen one in our front yard, and we live in a pretty urban area in LA.

It turns out there's a lady down the street who leaves food out for feral cats. The best of intentions I'm sure but in doing so she has attracted coyotes, which also attack her beloved cats. :mad:

Our fences are 6' high but from what I hear they are brilliant jumpers so we don't let Mags out at night unattended.

You can buy wolf pee online, which is supposed to scare the coyotes, but who knows if it works or not!?

Thanks for a good reminder to keep an eye on our cavys. This is coyote breeding season so they are on the wander.

~l

I've posted about the coyote on my hillside....scared the you-know-what out of me!! Now the pups can't go outside unless I'm with them. There's something called a coyote roller you can put on top of a fence that's supposed to prevent them from jumping over a fence...you're right a 6 foot fence wouldn't keep them out.

Oh that's scary - lovely to see them but not so close to the house especially knowing how dangerous they can be :(

We have Buzzards around here which mainly take carrion but would take very young puppies, and the odd Golden Eagle which don't normally come this close to human habitation but in the breeding season or when they are very hungry, could be tempted. I wouldn't leave young puppies out un attended.

We have buzzards here in N Wales too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried to take our smallest rescue cat, Minnie. She's only about the size of a young wild rabbit!
Fortunately, she thinks the outdoors is for fools :p

Back