• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abbey--I've had it

linderbelle

How can you go from being so up one day to just plain ol s h i t the next. I was so dang positive yesterday and such a wonderful day and sure hasn't been many of those lately and here we go again. I wrore in my blog yesterday of the outcome of her appts. on monday and she was put on atopia and she had her first dose yesterday. Well, the side effects of the medicine are vomiting and diarrhea and guess what. 10 minutes ago she vomited and I mean vomited all her meds up so I wonder how much of all the other stuff is still in her too. Of course the doctor wasn't in yet--hour earlier there. I just started crying writing this. This sucks soooooooooooo bad and so -------------- unfair that she has to be going through all this. ok now I'm really out of control crying.

That is upsetting. :flwr:

You might want to keep a medication log/journal from now on of the exact times she was given meds and the exact time she vomited, a call to the vet (or emergency vet) should be able to tell you whether or not to re-dose her after vomiting.

What is atopia for?

allergies believe it or not. We're dealing with two things these days--allergies and sm. I called the clinic right after I cleaned it up--waiting for the doctor to call.

Oh Linda, so sorry you are having more problems. Poor little Abbey. I hope you can find another drug that will be kinder to her tummy. Keep your chin up girlie, you'll get there in the end. :hug:

:flwr:Linda - Hang on in there. You've come so far and been through so much. I'm sure there will be many more highs and lows to come, but hopefully the lows are getting less and less. Thinking of you :flwr:

Sending you a hug....so sorry you are dealing with this today especially after you were so upbeat yesterday. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day. Judy

Linda,
I'm sorry you're having a rough morning :( Medications are trial and error sometimes, so maybe there's another medication that you can try for her allergies? Stay strong, you'll get through this!!! Hugs to you and Abbey! :flwr:

Carrie

Linda, if the allergy medicine Abbey is taking is Atopica then it is the same one my golden has to take. Mollie's comes in capsule form and the capsule is like a very hard plastic and it makes her throw up. My vet,who has to give the same meds to his dobes, said to poke a small hole in the hard capsule and squeeze the liquid into soft dog food,yogurt or whatever is a favorite food then let the dog lap it up. Works like a charm and Mollie has never thrown up when I give it to her like that. If Abbey's comes in the hard capsule you might try it.:xfngr:

Take care,

DeeDee
mom to Bailey and Mollie

I'm so sorry you're going through this.I know it's hard to measure progress when there's so many ups and downs but hang in there.You love her and that's what you need to focus on.Things will get better and you'll be less stressed and upset.
Sins

Hang in there, Linda! I'm sure better (and easier) times are ahead for you and Abbey!

I watched Abbey's video on your blog site yesterday. Poor little girl. She's so lucky she got you for an owner. You are truly one of the great ones for going through all of this for her. God bless you and your family.

I am picking up two foster Cavaliers who I am going to foster for Cavalier Rescue this weekend and one of them has allergies, so I have been told I have to give her an allergy shot once a week. Yikes -- I've never given anyone or anything a shot in my life, so I am not looking forward to that. The previous owner says she is allergic to mold, grass and dustmites. She apparently has been under the care of a veterinary dermatologist in Atlanta for years. Of course, the first thing I thought of when he was telling me this is "I wonder if she really has SM?" based on your experience. I hate to hear you are actually dealing with BOTH! That's just not fair.

This little foster girl's owner says she does really well as long as she gets benadryl, her shots, and frequent baths with prescription shampoo, so I hope it's controllable allergies. I also hope I'm not getting in over my head with her! I'm taking both of them to my vet on Tuesday for an overall evaluation. I will have them show me how to give her the shots. I am also told that she has major anal gland issues and they take her to the vet every 3 weeks to get them expressed! She's a high maintainence little thing, that's for sure!

I may be posting for advice in dealing with her allergies over the next few days once I see what she is like. I fear for her a little bit as I've heard most grass allergies are to Bermuda, which is what about 75% of our lawn is! I'll look over her vet records carefully and see what they say the specific allergy is.

Hopefully she will not show anything that looks like SM symptoms, or I will be really upset. She's almost 8 years old.

Again, hang in there -- you are doing everything you can, and things are bound to turn around soon!

How awful for you, you have my sympathies & thoughts. From following your posts yuove been on a rollercoaster & that catches up with you & must take a lot out of you mentally & physically. just know that you are doing a brilliant job & i hope you have a much better day tomorrow:flwr:

Linda I am so sorry! I know how difficult it is, Ilsa had bad reactions to several of her meds. The vet gave us some pills to help settle her stomach with the medications, maybe that could help.

Take care of yourself and please try to breathe.

Hugs
Jen and Ilsa

There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow :hug:
-- Orison Swett Marden

Back