PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back!

Karlin
13th April 2009, 12:10 AM
Sorry the board was down for the weekend but once I had started the process of the move to a new hosting site, it was easier to keep it off and keep new items from going into the database (which would have meant starting all over and downloading the database again, and I wasn't sure whether my old hosting company would continue to give me access to the files as my service expired there on Friday).

I couldn't change a few essentials until this morning so really only began most of the move today. I did reopen the board a little earlier but a couple of minor things weren't working so I had to reinstall again, but all seems fine now. :*nana:

I think you will find the board runs a lot faster now. This should be the last major move or upgrade for good while -- a new version of the board is due out later this year but probably not til end of summer or autumn and that should be a fairly easy upgrade. Moving to a new host is the most complicated kind of move as the entire massive database needs to be moved. The database for this site is 348MB, which is pretty darn big. :eek:

There's also a new version of the blogging software.

I haven't yet been able to figure out how to set redirects so you need to use the full site address to get here: www.board.cavaliertalk.com. By tomorrow, www.cavaliertalk.com should work as well.

rosiesmum
13th April 2009, 12:22 AM
Thank goodness you're back - been having major withdrawal symptoms these last three days :D

Cathy Moon
13th April 2009, 12:26 AM
Yay! CavTalk is back! Thanks Karlin - I'm sure that was a lot of work. :thnku:

Karlin
13th April 2009, 12:31 AM
It was a lot of work alright! :shock::*gh: But thank goodness it is done now, we didn't seem to lose any information from the database (earlier, I was just getting a blank page when looking at "Who's online" or a user profile so had to reinstall everything again, which seems to have fixed the problem), and the site is a LOT faster!!! Yay!! Wish I'd switched hosting services ages ago.

I still don't have email set up however -- will see if I can get that sorted tomorrow.

Check out the new blogs info at the bottom of the homepage next to Who's Online, and the new blogs homepage. Now we can see when anyone has done a post in the previous 24 hours... :)

Margaret C
13th April 2009, 12:33 AM
Thank goodness you're back - been having major withdrawal symptoms these last three days :D

I second that.:rah:

Karlin, thank you for all the hard work.

Margaret C

Jasperxxgabby
13th April 2009, 12:37 AM
:rah:I've had major withdrawal symptoms too.

Thank you Karlin :).

frecklesmom
13th April 2009, 01:04 AM
:thnku: :mexwav:

What a gift for us from you-many thanks !

pinkpuppy
13th April 2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Karlin! A major withdrawal and anxiety attack.:eek:

Karlin
13th April 2009, 01:14 AM
Jeez folks, you should be out enjoying your holidays! :-p

Anyway just sorted the redirect, so www.cavaliertalk.com now also goes directly to the board. :)

frecklesmom
13th April 2009, 02:01 AM
have to write: It's as smooth as silk :thmbsup:

Cathy T
13th April 2009, 03:04 AM
Wow is it ever fast!! Excellent job Karlin!

motte platts
13th April 2009, 09:40 AM
Moved back to France this weekend, for the summer, so only logged on this a.m. Super fast site - well done! :dogwlk:

Sabby
13th April 2009, 10:29 AM
Glad the forum is back.

:jump:

harleyfarley
13th April 2009, 11:40 AM
Its excellent, ive been lost all weekend, thanks karlin for all your hard work, you should enjoy holidays too!! DI

Aileen
13th April 2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome back
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

sins
13th April 2009, 12:16 PM
Definitely a massive improvement! Well worth doing.
Sins

Rj Mac
13th April 2009, 12:27 PM
Great stuff....glad to be back :thmbsup:

Karlin
13th April 2009, 12:30 PM
you should enjoy holidays too!!

Holidays are mainly days when I catchup on all the stuff I don't get to from 'normal' work... :rotfl:

However tonight I get to go to the Seamus Heaney 70th b-day celebration in Dublin so that will be holiday enough. I wrote my doctoral dissertation on Heaney in the 90s and had some wonderful times meeting Seamus now and then -- including a quite memorable day and evening out on the tear with him in California when I was working there, which ended in my local Irish bar then an enormous Italian dinner in San Francisco. This was just after he won the Nobel and I couldn't believe it but even the *cab driver* in SF recognised him and told him to ring him directly and he'd come get him after dinner and drive him for free back over to here he was staying in Berkeley. Then (but of course) there was an Irish woman working front of house at the Italian restaurant and she of course recognised him and made sure we had the best service I've ever had in any restaurant. He's a big bear of a man, very sweet but also a wicked sense of humour, and great company. Lovely man, beautiful poetry. I never got tired of reading him (and spent many years doing so for that degree) -- always something else would emerge to consider. Happy 70th Seamus! :pi*no:

harleyfarley
13th April 2009, 01:23 PM
well.......... i didnt realise you were so well connected :) and what a lovely evening for you im glad you enjoyed it, I cant get over how fast this site is, I dont know how you find the energy.

tupup
13th April 2009, 02:42 PM
:-DYay its back!! thankyou Karlin, that must have given you a headache or two! its much smoother so worth our withdrawl symptoms:) i kept checking & meant to do:v*cuum:instead but didnt get any done-must do that today! Hope you have a fab night tonight to enjoy yourself after all your hard work

Karlin
13th April 2009, 03:51 PM
i didnt realise you were so well connected

Not at all :lol:, it is more that Ireland is very small -- only 4 million people and at that time, only about 3.3 million! -- and if you were a grad student in literature, you tended to have met pretty quickly all the living writers through readings, conferences, nights in a pub, and other events. None of them really had any airs about them either and all were very accessible. Seamus also lived in Dubin half of every year so you'd run into him at events all the time (hard to miss him!). There also weren't many Americans here then so would probably have been more easily remembered. I was working at San Jose State University in the early 90s when Seamus came over to do a reading and fundraiser for the university, and I was the only person he knew even slightly, and the only "Irish" person there (having lived in Ireland for many years previously at that point), and we had a few acquaintances in common. Plus he's a bit of an impish man and always up for the unexpected. It was very strange though to be driving your dissertation subject around and eating dinner with said subject! Lots of fun though. He kept introducing me with the comment, "I'm her subject". :lol:

jasperpaw
13th April 2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all you hard work Karlin, it`s certainly a lot faster.

Brian M
13th April 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Karlin

And thank you for all your work and have a very deserved lovely and memorable evening with your subject.

Thanks and Best Wishes

Brian .Dawn and Luke
Poppy ,Daisy ,Rosie and Ami:)

Elaine 2
13th April 2009, 10:05 PM
Much faster Karlin thanks :thmbsup:

ilsamom
13th April 2009, 11:04 PM
Yes thank you! It was a very long weekend!!!

Jen and Ilsa

harrysmum
13th April 2009, 11:13 PM
It's good to be back, didn't realise how much time I spent here till it was gone! Thanks for your efforts Karlin :)

amanda L
14th April 2009, 10:45 AM
Gosh, got connected so fast this morning.......:jmp2:
:thmbsup:

Karlin
14th April 2009, 12:22 PM
I am very pleased with the hosting -- both quality of service generally and tech support -- from Blacknight, www.blacknight.com (http://www.blacknight.com) in Ireland. I am happy to be supporting an Irish service as well.

I still don't have email up and running and today is my main work deadline day so that won't happen til this evening or tomorrow. I also am told some people cannot get the site and are just getting the 'domain suspended' message from my old hosting service. That is due to a delay in the name server change filtering through across some areas of the net but should work its way out within 48 hours. However if someone is getting such a message they should try reloading their browser (eg refresh the page) because if that page was cached by the browser, it will display that page even though the site is now accessible. You can stop the browser from doing that simply by refreshing the page.

It really annoys me however that a week ago, I asked the former hosting company to explain whether my access would be cut off from the old section of the hosting site as they only gave me bout a week to move to a new section of the hosting site, because I needed a timetable to work from. I considered sticking with them and simply moving the sites across as this would have been easier, but due to the extremely poor support service they give by email -- no replies whatsoever including to some queries from weeks ago (phone service is better) -- I decided I would not even bother and instead moved all the sites to Blacknight. You'd think a hosting service would be more focused on customer service, especially in a downturn! :rolleyes::bang:

Oh yes and the Heaney reception was lovely!! A room packed with writers as well. :)

Sandrac
14th April 2009, 12:56 PM
Its a joy to be back - and so fast now - well done Karlin for all your hard work.

linderbelle
14th April 2009, 02:58 PM
Nice to have it back and I sure appreciate all your work. You are helping alot of people and I know you know what I mean by that. Like I said CT holds a special place in my heart and it always will. ;)