• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Welcome back!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry the board was down for the weekend but once I had started the process of the move to a new hosting site, it was easier to keep it off and keep new items from going into the database (which would have meant starting all over and downloading the database again, and I wasn't sure whether my old hosting company would continue to give me access to the files as my service expired there on Friday).

I couldn't change a few essentials until this morning so really only began most of the move today. I did reopen the board a little earlier but a couple of minor things weren't working so I had to reinstall again, but all seems fine now. :*nana:

I think you will find the board runs a lot faster now. This should be the last major move or upgrade for good while -- a new version of the board is due out later this year but probably not til end of summer or autumn and that should be a fairly easy upgrade. Moving to a new host is the most complicated kind of move as the entire massive database needs to be moved. The database for this site is 348MB, which is pretty darn big. :eek:

There's also a new version of the blogging software.

I haven't yet been able to figure out how to set redirects so you need to use the full site address to get here: www.board.cavaliertalk.com. By tomorrow, www.cavaliertalk.com should work as well.

It was a lot of work alright! :shock::*gh: But thank goodness it is done now, we didn't seem to lose any information from the database (earlier, I was just getting a blank page when looking at "Who's online" or a user profile so had to reinstall everything again, which seems to have fixed the problem), and the site is a LOT faster!!! Yay!! Wish I'd switched hosting services ages ago.

I still don't have email set up however -- will see if I can get that sorted tomorrow.

Check out the new blogs info at the bottom of the homepage next to Who's Online, and the new blogs homepage. Now we can see when anyone has done a post in the previous 24 hours... :)

Its excellent, ive been lost all weekend, thanks karlin for all your hard work, you should enjoy holidays too!! DI

you should enjoy holidays too!!

Holidays are mainly days when I catchup on all the stuff I don't get to from 'normal' work... :rotfl:

However tonight I get to go to the Seamus Heaney 70th b-day celebration in Dublin so that will be holiday enough. I wrote my doctoral dissertation on Heaney in the 90s and had some wonderful times meeting Seamus now and then -- including a quite memorable day and evening out on the tear with him in California when I was working there, which ended in my local Irish bar then an enormous Italian dinner in San Francisco. This was just after he won the Nobel and I couldn't believe it but even the *cab driver* in SF recognised him and told him to ring him directly and he'd come get him after dinner and drive him for free back over to here he was staying in Berkeley. Then (but of course) there was an Irish woman working front of house at the Italian restaurant and she of course recognised him and made sure we had the best service I've ever had in any restaurant. He's a big bear of a man, very sweet but also a wicked sense of humour, and great company. Lovely man, beautiful poetry. I never got tired of reading him (and spent many years doing so for that degree) -- always something else would emerge to consider. Happy 70th Seamus! :pi*no:

well.......... i didnt realise you were so well connected :) and what a lovely evening for you im glad you enjoyed it, I cant get over how fast this site is, I dont know how you find the energy.

:-DYay its back!! thankyou Karlin, that must have given you a headache or two! its much smoother so worth our withdrawl symptoms:) i kept checking & meant to do:v*cuum:instead but didnt get any done-must do that today! Hope you have a fab night tonight to enjoy yourself after all your hard work

Back