• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Obamas are getting their *First* Dog!

Very cute! Nice that they went for a 6 month old as well -- that will make things a bit easier.

A good dog, but I thought he said that he was going to get "a mutt like me" (specific quote from B. Obama) I kinda wish he kept his word. O well. We all know who the newest most spoiled put is gonna be, well thats after ANNA!

Yes, and a trainer has been working with him, so he's quite well behaved! I'm going to have to read more about the breed - I've seen Portuguese Water Dogs compete in agility and they are very good. :)

I think they went for this breed as one of their daughters is allergic and this non shed breed was recommended.

He looks so huggable :). This was on the breed's website:

If you want a dog that:
  • requires regular and extensive grooming
  • demands attention and exercise
  • challenges your will
  • needs training and human contact
  • thinks independently
  • voices its opinion
  • greets friends and family with unbridled enthusiasm
then the Portuguese Water Dog may be right for you.
Fun dog and I'm sure they are going to benefit from his training but he is a puppy :D.

I chose to get a purebred cavalier and not a shelter dog -- and assume many of us did -- for the same reasons the first family chose a particular breed -- they wanted the reliability of a given temperament, size and appearance (with the latter in this case, the fact that the breed often can cause less allergy problems though no dog is actually hypoallergenic despite what might be said).

Shelter dogs typically bring their own set of issues -- totally unknown temperament, often there are some behaviour problems, they tend to be very poorly assessed by pound, shelter or rescue workers (a big gripe with me) and if they are puppies, you have little idea of what type and size of dog you will end up with.

I needed a small indoor breed that was bred to have a tolerant temperament and would be good with my cats. I also liked the way cavaliers looked and many other aspects of the specific breed (and I don't like yappy smallies!). I have done plenty of rescue work with pound dogs over the past years and support many general rescues here, but never had much interest in a pound mix (setting aside one single dog but while he was in foster it was clear he was a manic cat chaser so that ended that). I know I could have worked to get such a dog from the pound, but I simply didn't want a pound dog. I wanted a cavalier and given their heart issues, I wanted a breeder known for longevity in the lines and good hearts (and both dogs of his breeding are over 5 and heart clear).

There are pros and cons to both pedigree and poundies, dogs from breeders and dogs from rescues. Even running a rescue (or rather precisely because of that!!) I would be the very first to acknowledge that a rescue dog, mixed or purebred, does not suit all homes and even when one does, it is usually on a dog by dog basis -- not all rescue cavaliers suit a given home either.

I prefer to support health focused, dedicated breeders in whatever breed. :) I know others that absolutely love mixes and get their dogs from the pound or rescues. (My Lily by the way was a pound cavalier! And came with her own set of challenges all right! :lol:)

Irish vet and Daily Telegraph columnist Pete Wedderburn looks at the issue here. He also looks at whether pedigree dogs are not as smart here.

I think it's a big step for a family to bring a pet dog into their home, especially when neither parent has owned a dog before and they're in the public view. It appears they've done their research, and they've got mentoring and support from experienced dog owners, the Kennedys. IMO they're entitled to reconsider their former statement about getting a rescue dog and to choose a purebred dog like the rest of us have done. If they are successful bringing Bo into their lives, they will most likely be even more committed to the welfare of dogs in the future. :)

While I would now consider a rescue (although probably only a Cav) I think when your children are young you do have to consider their safety first. I know their are many happy rescue stories but the people I know personally have had a lot of heartbreak with both health and temperament issues with their pound puppies. I think the Obama's did their research and made the right choice for their family, which at the end of the day is what they need to do. I think those are beautiful dogs.

Karlin, I'm glad you posted what you did about the benefits of a pedigree dog. I've dealt with more negative comments than I care to count about my two Cavs. The usual comment goes something like "Why on earth would you pay for an expensive 'inbred' dog when you could've gone to the shelter and gotten a much better dog? Everyone knows mutts are smarter and healthier than purebreds!" Even my vet chimed in with his opinion that mutts were superior. My parents, sister, and friends have all told us how crazy we were not go to the pound.

The fact is, my husband and I like Cavaliers. Purebred from a reputable breeder. Yes, they were expensive, but these dogs are part of our family, and to us, they're worth every penny and more. We like their look and their temperament and are prepared to deal with any health problems that may arise (like Josie's inflammatory bowel disease). I like that you sort of know what to expect when you choose a certain breed. You know the health and temperament problems you may encounter and can make an informed decision.

I admire so much people who are able to take in rescues (mixed or purebred)...but for a variety of reasons, we just didn't want to go that route. I think the Obamas, who have never owned a dog before, were wise to choose the dog they did instead of going with a rescue. (And Bo is absolutely adorable!) All dogs deserve a loving family, whether they're purebred or mixed, and people should be allowed to choose the dog that's right for them without having to apologize for their choice.

Sorry to get on a soapbox! :eek:

Lori

:xctly:to that last paragraph Lori!! In their position i dont see how they could have taken on the challenges of an unknown rescue, even with the help of trainers-in the public eye,with children etc. surely it makes sense to get a purebred as a 1st dog then when you know a bit more get a rescue..IMHO. he kept his promise to his girls to get them a dog so good on him& what a lovely dog Bo looks too

Without getting into the purebred versus mixed breed debate, I just wanted to say that the Obamas will have fun with this breed. We've watched 2 at local park and both are wonderful! They get along with other dogs, people of all ages and love to play. I'm waiting to see Bo running outside and how the family as well as the secret service will cope:jump: I hope that either Bo has had some training or that someone will help in that area.

Heather R

Without getting into the purebred versus mixed breed debate, I just wanted to say that the Obamas will have fun with this breed. We've watched 2 at local park and both are wonderful! They get along with other dogs, people of all ages and love to play. I'm waiting to see Bo running outside and how the family as well as the secret service will cope:jump: I hope that either Bo has had some training or that someone will help in that area.

Heather R

I'm staying in Dallas right now with some family before I head down to Houston to pick up Anna. They ran an article on the news about him last night. Evidently the Kennedy's have purchased several PWD's from this breeder North of Dallas and that he didn't get along with another dog from his first family. He had training and the dam looked excellent.

http://www.wfaa.com/video/wfaageneral-index.html?nvid=351197&shu=1http://www.wfaa.com/video/wfaageneral-index.html?nvid=351197

Hi Karlin

Just curious are your four Cavs the first Cavaliers you have owned ,and what dogs if any have you had before , and also you are a big cat person like me ,I was at our work place every day over the hols and always go every day over Xmas when we shut for two weeks .Having been at this company for only 3 years after the Timber co went bust ,when I joined we just had a tabby cat who then produced 4 kittens and then a few months later another 4 ,so action had to be taken and over the next month we trapped 8 had them all done apart from a little black one that was too crafty for us but he turned out to be a Tom .So our fixed population if I can remember their names is as follows.
1) Mummy (thats a very novel name)
2) Socks
3) Short Socks
4) Tufti 1
5) Tufti 2 (hes the one who got away )
6) Little Fluff
7) Big Fluff
8) Tiddles ( shes the gal that comes into the office and sits on a chair by the radiator ,by Joy ,and she is the glamour puss in the pictures )
9) Sorry I cant remember the last one.

And last question pls Karlin how and why did you get into animal welfare
in such a big way and especially what influenced you to make helping Cavaliers such a way of life ,I consider myself an animal person like so many millions of others and wont kill a spider or any insect or harm any animal , but the totally dedication of others ie like you and all the other awe inspiring people in Rescue is something else.:confused:

Just Curious.:)

Kindest Regards
Brian

Back