• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Glands

kmatt

I've heard from both sides of the camp. Some say that you need to do it every week and others say that it should only be done if it is impacted as it won't get infected as often.

Does anyone know what I should do. Teddy was always in and out of the vet about every fortnight and I always had him given a special bath while he was their so that his skin would stay healthy as his meds irritated it.

PS Anna gets picked up on thursday and I can't wait.

Anal glands only need to be emptied if/when the dog is scooting or showing discomfort. I've taken my three in for anal glands every 8 weeks or so as soon as I see scooting.

But now I know how to feel them for little pea-shaped bumps, which is a sign the anal glands are full and need attention.

I'd agree with Cathy. Anal glands only need emptying when they show signs of discomfort by scooting along the floor. But we learnt the hard way recently with Bobby when he was scooting on the Friday, and we rang too late for the Saturdays surgery, so thought we could leave it until Monday when the surgery was open again. Big mistake!! By Sunday eve he didnt want us to touch his lower back, and a big red patch appeared on the top of his leg by his tail.

It turned out to be anal gland abcesses,one internal and one external (the red patch). He needed op the same day and had 4 drainage tubes, stitches etc, and a whacking great bill. Luckily it bothered us far more than it bothered him. It healed within days and the tubes & stitches came out on day 4.the hair is already growing over. It must have hurt like hell though and he made no fuss until the abcsess had actually formed.

My only word of caution here is that they don't always scoot! Maddie has never scooted, but ended up with an impacted/ infected anal gland.:( She still doesn't scoot - even when I take her to have them emptied and they are really full. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and I just take her for emptying every 6 - 8 weeks "just in case" and her glands have always been fairly full each time.:yuk:
Pippin scoots, and this seems to help as his don't get so full.

Miles has only had his done once, when he was a puppy, and Truman has never had his done. I think maybe it's the pumkpin along with the grains and RMBs that they're fed that cause them to empty on their own, but I'm not sure. I have heard once you start having them emptied it causes them to have to be done more often, but I'm not sure if that's true :confused:

I was told by a vet to add two teaspoons of wholegrain bran to the food each day which prevents anal gland probs.

Miles has only had his done once, when he was a puppy, and Truman has never had his done. I think maybe it's the pumkpin along with the grains and RMBs that they're fed that cause them to empty on their own, but I'm not sure. I have heard once you start having them emptied it causes them to have to be done more often, but I'm not sure if that's true :confused:

Thats the same thing That I heard. That once you start you have to keep doing it, but I don't want Anna to ever be uncomfortable so I need to find a happy medium.

Jasper hasn't had any problems with his anal glands, but on his annual checkup 3 wks ago I mentioned to the vet that Jasper had been biting down his rear end, not alot but enough for me to notice, the vet checked and he did need to empy them although no infection, I was advised to keep an eye on him and that if he stopped (which he has) and starts biting again (which he hasn't and :xfngr: he will not) then I need to take Jasper back and either the vet could "wash them out" or remove them, either way he would need an anesthetic. I am thinking this is way to soon to think about such a procedure, but if it is for the best then so be and reading here that once emptied they can need empying often then maybe the op is called for. He rarely ever scoots, though he did as a pup. I will start to add wholegrain bran to his/gabbys food.

I used to have Casey's done every 2 months or so until I switched her to Orijen (dry dog food). In over a year and a half, she has not had to have them emptied!

Unfortunately, I switched their food about a month ago b/c Winston seems to have allergies so I'm experimenting with food, and low and behold Casey's glands got full.

So, I'm convinced it has a lot to do with their food!

Our Jasper had his done last week :yuk:
He'd been scooting - I don't know if it was rescue food or what, but he was desperately in need of sorting out & boy did it make a mess of the vet's table :eek:
Glad I was holding his head & nowhere near the other end :badgrin:

I know this is kinda gross, but I really would like to know what you guys think, since we're on the topic of anal glands and such...
Amber scoots occassionally, but I never thought much of it. A couple of months ago, she was running around the house with the kids and did a body slam against the front door (those darn slippers had her sliding across the floor at high speed!) and I think her hips took the brunt of the impact. It didn't hurt her, but she sprayed quite a bit of what looked like watery stool on the floor and where she hit the wall. It didn't smell like her usual stool and she hadn't suffered from diarrhea before, or after, that incident. I wonder if she somehow squeezed out the contents of her anal glands??? What do you guys think?

Melissa

looked in my vets book for you -Dr Bruce Fogle-it says anal gland smell ;the dog is possibly frightened or injured. from standing next to my girl when she has hers emptied id say it is a watery stool substance:yuk: so im guessing its possible!

she sprayed quite a bit of what looked like watery stool on the floor and where she hit the wall. It didn't smell like her usual stool and she hadn't suffered from diarrhea before, or after, that incident. I wonder if she somehow squeezed out the contents of her anal glands??? What do you guys think?

Melissa

sounds like it was her glands. my papillon does that every few weeks. she's like a skunk ,lol

I think ezme our cavalier has a burst absess so we're off to the vet.

Back