• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

could she be sick?

Katelyn

Scarlett had been staying at her mothers house (well the house that owns her mother!) for the last two days as I was on holidays and I collected her today but she seems to be acting quite strange. First when she came home she had a snorting fit that lasted about 30 seconds but she hasn't done it since then she started scooting around on her bum for ages and she only stopped when I let her outside for a few minutes. Apart from that she was acting quite normal but just a minute ago she was lying on the ground and scratching her face which is normal for her but then she started scratching it really frantically and making little noises...I cant bring her to the vet till Thursday but am I being paranoid (as i'm prone to being) anyone have any thoughts?could she have oicked something up?or maybe eaten something she shouldnt have?she trys to eat everything (she nearly killed herself last week after eating a stone) and maybe the people who were minding her wouldnt be keeping as close an eye on her as I usually do.

Scooting and snorting are pretty common. The snorting is often called the cavalier snort and occurs because their shortened noses can occasionally cause a flap of skin to create a slight blockage of their airways. To halt it, gently tip the dog's head forward while covering its nostrils with a thumb. It should stop in a few seconds.

Scooting is extremely common in the breed -- even when anal glands have just been cleared. It can indicate that anal glands need emptying though. Or worms.

The whining and rubbing is more of a concern.

I'd probably have your vet give your dog a checkup just to be sure there isn't a problem. Any time you see noticeble behaviour changes the best thing is to go have this checked by a vet to make sure there isn't a medical problem.

Also is your dog up to date with flea and worm treatments from the vet (over the counter remedies do not work very well and some are known to cause problems for some dogs, so stick with the vet-grade products). All the things you describe could be caused by parasites of one sort or another. Your vet is the person to talk to about all these things. (y)

Back