• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello I am new here, my puppy is sick

luvhavinbgtwins

:(
I been on here a few days, love the site :eek:

but my cav is 14 weeks we have had him for 1 1/2 weeks and he is so great, we took him to the vet on the 3rd day for a ck up and cuz he seemed to have a runny nose etc.

Anyway I talked to my friend who has 2 cav. and as far as the nose and the hair ball cough she said that was somewhat normal hers dose that also.

Well its gotten worse...yesterday we noticed him having problems w/one eye and opens it somewhat but not all the way....this morning he wouldnt eat, he went out and did his business and then went and layed down..his eye looks a little worse...its not crusted or anything just looks more blood shot and not opening well, he just wants to sleep, he was having the cough hair thing more and looked like he was shaking cuz he was freezing so I called the vet and we are going in. We go in about 2 hours was the 1st appt.

Anyone have this happen... I really hope nothing is wrong he is such a joy to our life and part of our family already...He looks so sad......

I'm so glad you've got an appointment. This doesn't sound right, a young pup shouldn't be feeling like that. Good for you in realizing he needed to see the doctor. Please let us know how he does, I'll be thinking about you and worrying about him.

poor thing, i dont think its normal at all, and im glad your going to the vet, you might think about ringing the breeder your brought him from and highlighting your concerns depending on the what the vet says. I hope its nothing serious, di

I hope its nothing also...I am so worried this 2 hours is going by so slow..:( Thank you so much.....I will post as soon as I get back...yes the breeder will be hearing from me if something is truly wrong..I might just call anyway....My poor kids (5 year old twins) are really having a hard time..asking why he doesnt want to play...it just wants to make you :cry*ing:

wish me luck I am getting us all ready so we can go...talk to you all soon.

Definitely something is wrong. That doesn't sound normal at all. :(

Hope the vet visit gives you some good news and medicine to make him feel better soon.

I'm so glad you're getting him checked so quickly...I hope it's nothing serious and your little guy feels better soon!

Yes it is very wise to have immediately contacted your vet. This sounds like it could be kennel cough and hopefully nothing worse, and will be caught early enough that it won't have progressed. Fingers crossed for you.

It's always important to move fast, as you did, with puppies in particular as they don't have very well developed immune systems and can quickly have complications. I always like to remind people that a phone call to the vet is free, simply to get advice and see whether or not you should bring your dog in. My vets (and any good vet) will be very good at saying to come in if they are also concerned, or telling you that things sound OK but what to watch out for, in case things don't improve.

i too hope all goes well at the vets poor little chap. the pic in your corner is so cute!(avatar?) i really hope he comes bouncing back quickly

Thanks so much for all your support......

In the meantime while we where all getting ready the poor thing couldnt even get up to go outside and peed and just layed in it....He also vomit twice.:(

The vet said his heart sounds great, lungs are clear....
He lost an 1 oz but that is nothing...
She could just tell he didnt feel good at all....
She heard him cough and seen the running nose and seem the watery eyes...she put a cream in the eye..
Gave him some special soft cat food and soft dog food to help his belly she thinks its due to the drainage.

She gave him Antibiotics (Azithromycin) she said he has a bad upper respiratory infection, and its a good thing I took in as soon as I noticed these signs....I am so glad I did....
I am still sad he is sick but feel so much better now...I just hope he gets better real soon.

Thanks about the pic (avatar) that was his first bath pic....yes I am crazy about pics.....I am always taking pic of my kids and now I have a 3rd :biggrin:

I hope so much to be a regular..I think this board is great as far as I can see and with the support I got so fast esp. being new this is great..

Thanks again.

I see that you did post. Glad you got help. Let us know how he's doing tomorrow please.

Last edited:
The antibiotics might take a couple of days to really kick in. So glad you got Rex to the vet so quickly, he'll feel so much better in a day or two.Have to say I love your twins names :)

Thank you...I will post as soon as I can tomorrow....

It felt good the vet called also to ck in on the little guy..and she wants me to call in the a.m
as for tonight he has only eaten 3 tablespoons of soft food...and just wants to sleep....so I made sure he got it..it was nice so I got my kids out so they would not even talk to him so he could get as much rest as possible...

Hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and he's feeling better tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

I wonder if your vet has considered distemper. It does occur in the States apparently. We have our dogs vaccinated for it in the UK.

Well he is doing much better today, he still wouldnt eat the soft food the vet gave us so I mixed it in w/his royal canin food and he ate it all....finally got him to get a good amount :)

His eyes look better, still making sounds but not as bad and the best thing is he is getting better to his little puppy self.....he went outside and dance around:jmp2:that made me so happy......I hope by tomorrow he wil be on his way to being his old little puppy self....

b*n*n*thats great that Rex is improving so much already-yay! but plse keep posting updates on the little dancer!

Back