• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much does you cav sleep?

hwowen

As cav ownership is new to me, I'm surprised how much Jasper sleeps. He seems to snooze as much as our cats, even when I'm home all day.
He sleeps all night, and naps on and off during the day in short bursts for about 50% of the day. He plays and bounces etc, then flakes out. In the evening he sleeps from around 9pm (next to me on the sofa). He's had a check up & antibiotics for a raised temperature last week, so I don't think he's sickening for anything, but then again ...?

Most dogs, unless they're super high energy, sleep the majority of the day away...yours is totally normal!

Thanks for the reassurance! Jasper will sometimes climb up on the back of the armchair and fall asleep on my shoulders (he thinks he IS a cat) ;)

We find Leo can be absolutely comatose one minute then up and bounding like a loon if anyone opens the biscuit tin!:badgrin:

He also sleeps quite a bit but it takes nothing to get him up and going.

Harleys the same, dead to the world will sleep most of the day if nothing is going on, but you open that buscuit tin, and vrooommm, one dog.

Hi

Well it seems as though jasper has settled in well ,how have you adjusted OK.:)

Best Wishes

Brian:)

Hi Brian!
Jasper has settled in wonderfully in the house. Walks are a different matter, & I try and spend time in fields out of sight of the road some days. I don't think he's had much experience of the world & he goes bananas when he sees a car. Often, the only way I can stop the 'red-mist' when he sees a car is to pick him up. Then he stops barking & just whimpers & grumbles. I wish I knew what he was thinking. :confused:
I'm having to use a sens-ible harness & consistent handling to try and decrease the pulling - he's surprisingly strong.
At least he's happy in his new home & is such a placid boy, he will let me put drops in his eyes, give him a bath, brush his teeth ... the only time he growls is if he thinks the cats are trying to steal his rawhide bone (which they aren't) ... sometimes he's too busy thinking he has to guard it to get around to chewing it :badgrin:
On the one hand, if he never went out, he'd be the perfect dog, but I'd feel he was missing out if he didn't get out every day.

You know, I'm a pretty new cav owner my self, Alice is only 5 months, but I have noticed that some days she does spend a lot of time sleeping, then other days she is awake a lot more. She really REALLY hates rain, and I swear she tends to sleep a lot more on rainy days! :slp:

Rubes sleeps sooo much, we go out for a walk 1st thing then back for me to get ready for work, she'll be asleep whilst i do, then up to work where she runs straight to her little chair or bed to snuggle down for a snooze& so the day goes on! on sundays she does nothing but sleep im sure i have to wake her up to go out etc. on a night she tootles off thro' to bed when she wants to but if i dont follow,usually cos im on here!, about 20mins later a little crosspatch face appears back thro with a big sigh & i fall about laughing:)

Back