• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bentley's eye is swollen and sore

linderbelle

Today I gave the dogs baths and now Bentley's eye is swollen under his eye and he can barely open his eye. We did clean it out and we have soo many different prescription eye ointments etc. because of Winston's problems. We did put some antiobiotic eye ointment in it but it didn't really change. Any ideas? I don't know if the shampoo did it or something else did. I feel for him. I wanted to call vet on his cell as I do have his cell # but hubby said not to as he felt its not an emergency. What you all think? Now that its 5:00 on a saturday we're probably stuck until monday a.m. unless I do call him on his cell or at his home and I'm not suppose to take him into the Vet ER place without getting ahold of my vet. HE doesn't believe in that place.

Hi Linda, have you got tea bags at home? if so make a cup of tea and then use the bag when cooled to gently clean his eye. I know it sound a bit wacky but give it a try.
Hope he feels better soon.

Nanette

I'm not a tea drinker but I'll get one from a neighbor. Thanks. I just feel for him as it obviously is hurting him. When we cleaned and put in drops he jumped and when I touch under his eye where its swollen it obviously hurts. Thanks. I'm sitting here tapping hoping somebody would respond. Thank you!!!

Yes, I have heard of tea for eyes from a few people. Margaret would remind me, black and no sugar!! :lol:

oww it hurts like heck if ive ever got shampoo in my eyes usually for a few hours too. have you any plain optrex drops or visco tears? even plain water to keep washing it out, the eye man we saw did this to rubes, real quick with one of those plastic syringes. maybe then a cold cloth held over it. if it was me,if its no better in the morning id be ringing your vet. i hope Bentley gets better quick poor lad:)

I've tried washing it out with water and eye drops and put in eye ointment and tried the tea and still nothing. Mothers intuition thinks its not shampoo that he's done something to it. If it was shampoo it should have been better. Going to ride it out and see how it is tomorrow and if not better then call vet after church. Do you think this is classified as an emergency when he obviously is in pain and doesn't feel good and can't hardly open his eye? If you guys say yes then I'll call vet on his cell or at his home. Hubby is telling me that its not an emergency but men are useless.

I would take him to the emergency vet today. Eye problems can be extremely serious, which I learned here on CavTalk.

Agree, I'd also call the vet so good for moving on this. If his eye is that painful something is wrong and you don;t want to risk his eyesight. Eye pain is generally especially painful too -- sounds like he at least needs something to reduce the pain and inflammation. (y) Let us know what the vet says. Hope it's a minor irritation.

Teabags are naturally astringent and can be useful for minor eye discomfort and minor conjunctivitis even, but you seem to be describing real pain and I'd not want to leave that for two days. If there's an irritation in there, it could damage the cornea in that timeframe.

I got him right away and he is in an emergency right now and he's going to call us when he's done and we'll take him in. So nice to have a vet now where I have both his cell and home #. Unheard of these days. Thanks you guys. I appreciate it. I really don't think its shampoo--been too long and we've flushed it out with drops etc. and its really tender to touch under. I'll post after we see the vet or in the a.m. I love CT!!!

Agree, I'd also call the vet so good for moving on this. If his eye is that painful something is wrong and you don;t want to risk his eyesight. Eye pain is generally especially painful too

... but you seem to be describing real pain and I'd not want to leave that for two days. If there's an irritation in there, it could damage the cornea in that timeframe.

I agree. Cavaliers' eyes are vulnerable to serious injuries, and home remedies are hit-and-miss.

Hi Linda,
I hope he is feeling better. Like Cathy said, anything involving the eyes is considered an emergency. A small scratch can quickly become a situation that costs your dog their eye. This is what my vet told me.
Let us know what you learn.

The doctor called us about 9:30 last night and we met him at the clinic. It was shampoo that had gotten in his eye and he had scratched it. He gave us some drops and I'm suppose to bring him back on tuesday to get it rechecked.

I changed vets in January and this is sooooooooooooo nice to be able to call my vet on his cell or his home # and he'll go in the clinic. He doesn't believe in the ER clinic unless absolutely necessary--like he's out of town. I haven't asked him what I do if he's out of town but I will be asking him that on tuesday. I don't have the other doctors #'s. As an adult I've never had a vet offer this service. I remember when I was a kid the vet always went in on night calls etc. Getting to be a thing of the past though.

Just glad it was nothing serious. Sandy our shih tzu who passed away 7 years ago we always lubed her eye before bathing her. I asked him last night how to prevent it from happening as I'm using that Dog of Isle shampoo now and it sits for a few minutes etc. and he said to lube them so I definitely will be doing that all the time from now on. Thanks for the fast response. You hate to bug your vet on a saturday night unless absolutely necessary and it was so nice to get the quick response on here saying I should contact him. Thank you again for that.

Thats good service linda, is it expensive, when i called the vet on a sunday night, they said it was an emergency surgery and it would about £60 and best to wait till i can see my vet if possible.

I don't know the cost Harley. Asked him if he wanted us to pay last night and he said nah just pay on tuesday. I didn't care--he's insured so no biggie but even if he wasn't he was in pain so I would have taken him. I have no idea what the charge will be though.

im jusy so glad it wasnt anything more serious. youre vet sounds fab. give him a hug from me&rubes!

Back