• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do you have a vet that you can get 24 hrs. a day

linderbelle

I'm amazed at my new vet. As an adult I've had dogs for many many years. We've never had a vet that we could get after hours though. January I changed vets and was given his cell # and his home # and to call and not to go to the ER clinic. I used this last night and I told him a couple times how nice it was and how much I appreciated it. Just curious how many others where your vets offer that.

Our vet has someone on call 24/7, not him though, just whoevers turn it is i suppose, ive only ever called once for advice. di

Maybe not unusual then harley. The vets that we've had though have never offered it. Curious on others. Even our last vet of 10 years there were 4 doctors in there and they didn't offer it. Enough doctors to take turns even though 2 of them were married to each other.

The vet practice where we go has 24/7 service. There is a vet on staff at all times. http://www.northviewvet.com/site/view/84913_Home.pml

Most of the smaller veterinary practices in our area leave a message on their answering machines at night with contact information for the emergency vet, which serves a large region. The emergency vet closes down in the morning, so then you have to transport your dog to another vet. In serious emergencies, this would be unacceptable - that's why we switched to a 24/7 vet with a hospital on site.

That would be nice! Our vet doesn't have that service but in Paris there is a private 24 hour house call service. The only problem is in a real emergency they don't have any equipment, just basic medication to stabilize a dog until morning. And you get a stranger every time.

Jen and Ilda

The vet practice where we go has 24/7 service. There is a vet on staff at all times. http://www.northviewvet.com/site/view/84913_Home.pml

Most of the smaller veterinary practices in our area leave a message on their answering machines at night with contact information for the emergency vet, which serves a large region. The emergency vet closes down in the morning, so then you have to transport your dog to another vet. In serious emergencies, this would be unacceptable - that's why we switched to a 24/7 vet with a hospital on site.

Dr. Hutch-- I believe Laura Lang uses him too.

Yes! Dr. Hutch and all 90 people they have on staff! That is how I met Laura Lang years ago - she was waiting for news about one of her cavaliers in the back, and she saw me with my two cavalier puppies at the payment desk, so we had a lovely conversation about cavaliers until my bill was paid. :)

My vet has a 24hr service - it's an answering service which then contact the vet and they then ring you back. Anytime I have used it I have had a call back within 3/4mins and if the pet needs to be brought in they can be there in only a few minutes.

Only thing is, there is nobody at the clinic at night so if pets are kept in they are on their own (I presume serious cases are checked on during the night) or if someone turns up with an emergency at night there is nobody there - it is all dealt with over the phone first.

Our vet clinic has an emergency phone #. They will usually call back within five to ten minutes. I have called when Zeus (our Golden) had a seizure and talked to the vet and gotten advice. Yesterday when Max had the run in with the wasp the vet met us at the clinic.

My vet has a brilliant 24hr service, i've had to use it several times when my cat's been in fights and been badly bitten.
They always answer and meet us at the clinic within minutes.

My vet has 24/7 cover. It's a largish practice, so you always get one of their own vets if you see what I mean. When we got Maddie we had the choice of 2 vets in walking distance, but one offers 24/7 on site, the other is linked to other practices throughout the area, and they take it in turns to be on call. I didn't like the prospect of being faced with a 15 mile journey if one of mine was sick, so chose the other vets.
The one we go to also has a house attached and they have a vet nurse on the premises 24/7, so any resident animals are checked and monitored throughout the night. When Pippin had to spend a night there he was the only cute small dog, :d*g: and got cuddles all night (the vet and the nurse were fighting over him. :D) and I know it was the same recently when Maddie had to spend a night there. The one we didn't choose doesn't have a nurse resident overnight, I think someone just goes in at intervals to check everything's ok. I couldn't bear the thought of them being in a cage and no-one on the premises. :(

I am lucky my vets are a tier 3 RCVS Hospital.
There is always a nurse on the premises 24/7. She will call the vet then either gives you advice or the vet will get there when you arrive. I had to leave Ebony once at 3am in the morning, I hated leaving her but was glad that someone was there to keep an eye.

Back