• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi im new and need advice pls

ozzie

Hi.This is my first post and already I'm looking for something!I've often had a read on this site and am very much aware that you all love your doggies as much as I do so I'm hoping one of you may be able to help me out.My poor little Millie,age 2 is quite sick and I'm up the walls.She had a couple of episodes of vomiting on Tuesday last,but seemed fine after that.No problems at all Wednesday (except was ehm,blowing off quite badly)I wasn't too happy with her mood Thursday,she seemed a bit miserable so Friday morning I made an appt with vet and just after this she vomited again,and sorry for being crude,but it was quite foamy and pinky red with blood in in.The vet has said she is very tender,slight temperature but could feel no obstruction.He gave her 2 injections,a course of antibiotics and also Antepsin to put the lining back on her tummy with no food for 24hrs.Did all this,yesterday she was much brighter but i couldnt get her to take the Antep. so i crushed it and gave it to her by syringe in water in her mouth.All seemed fine till today,she started the day getting a bit sick,i gave her the Antep.which she got straight back up again,gave her a small amt of boiled chicken which has stayed down but she's miserable.Can anyone advise how to get the Antepsin into her.It must taste foul as she takes everything else.:thnku:

OH poor wee mite, sore tummies make them miserable.

I have Antepsin in liquid form which is easy to give - might be worth asking your vet for that tomorrow?

Otherwise the best way of getting pills/tablets down is to open the mouth and push them down the back of the throat - it's horrid the first few times you do it but you soon pick up the technique.

If you google it there are probably lots of sites and/or videos that explain it better!!

I hope that Millie is better tomorrow - make sure she has small amounts of fluid regularly.

i would go with just popping it in her mouth as far back as you can,tilt
her head back slightly,gently hold her little mouth closed & stroke her throat until she swallows it. you can tell when she licks her lips its gone down, i hope that helps& that she gets well soon.
theres lots of things you can cover tablets in ie peanut butter but with a poorly tum it might not be a good idea

Thank you both for the reply,I tried a bit harder to push the pill down doing what you said about rubbing her throat and it worked. I'm relieved , but am also going to have a word with vet tomorrow just as a precaution.:)

Hi tupup,
I cant believe it ,Millie's like a new pup:w**h**:I managed to give her the antepsin, like you said ,rubbing her throat. It took quite a few attempts but eventually worked,and she's much brighter and had some boiled chicken.So far she's kept it all down and I feel she's on the mend.Thanks so much for the advice(y)

I have found that the pill pockets by Greenies are absolutely great for getting pills down. They come in chicken and beef flavor and are soft so you can mold it around the pill. They also smell like meat and my dogs all love them. I've never had one spit a pill out when I've used the pill pocket.

Back