• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

OK.. Alice is finally getting spayed on 4/29...

AliceAbbyBellaDaphne

And I am very nervous, which is silly, considering she is our 5th dog that we have gone through this with, you'd think I'd be an old hand at this.... but she is our 1st cav. The thing that concerns me is that she is a huge baby, screams for shots, etc. Did you find that your cav needed pain medecine after the surgery? Did they try to lick at their stitches? I think Alice may, then she'll have to wear the "cone" thing, which she'll hate of course. Any advice on spaying is appreciated, what your experience was, etc.
:thnku:

Tawna

The first day or two after surgery will be a bit rough for her- she will probably sleep alot. I used a baby onesie on my two to keep them from bothering the stiches. It worked out great, and after a few days they didn't even need to wear it anymore. The hardest part was keeping them from running around and jumping up on the couch. Overall they make it through the surgery pretty easily- it's just hard on us. lol

The best thing I ever did was to put Dixie, my little cavalier, in a baby onesie after she had her surgery. Measure her length from neck to tail, go to Target or wherever they sell baby onesies and buy one to fit. Get one with snaps at the neck and bottom. Slip it over her neck, put her tail between the snaps, and snap two leaving her tail out the unsnapped part. It is soft and comfy. They look adorable in it, but the best part is they can't get to the stitches. No cone is needed and they are as comfy and cute as can be. When she needs to go potty, just unsnap the bottom and roll up, and done. She healed perfectly and it was no stress. I did use the pain pills, and she just got along GREAT!!!! Judy and Dixie Good Luck, and I am sure it will be just fine.

Mindy did fine - it was a long time ago. She didn't have anything for pain and I'm sure she didn't need a cone. I LOVE the onesie idea and I wish I'd known about it before Max was neutered. The three nights he wore the cone were endless.

I just realized that I forgot to mention that you put your puppy's two front lets in the onesie's armholes and then snap it on the back so that the front of the onesie is on her stomach. Hope that makes sense. Judy

I also used the onesie for Bella. It worked out great. Just cut a tail hole in the back and rolled it up for her to go potty. She did need pain meds. She slept the first day, but the 2nd day she wanted to do more, but would end up hurting, so I just kept her on the pain meds for a few days. She did great. I got my onesies at the Dollar Tree in my town. Not sure if they have those everywhere in the US, but there are usually discount stores that have them very cheap. My only other advice would be to keep her crated or confined to a safe area for a week or so, especially if she is a jumper or rough with play. (y)

Don't worry Alice will be fine. I was exactly the same in March when Holly was done. She had pain meds for two days then she was fine, the hardest thing was keeping her still so she didn't rip her stitches!
The onesie idea is brilliant, I didn't use it but I wish I had. I spent a week watching her like a hawk. She was really good though, seemed to totally forget she had the stitches after a couple of days! Try to stay away from the cone collar, I put it on Holly once and she was really traumatised by it.
best of luck, let us know how you get on! :xfngr:

Thanks to all for the great advice, the onesie (or babygrow!) idea is great , I'll wait closer to the 29th, then measure her and go out and get one, although sending me to the baby department is dangerous, I have a habit of buying things for friends babies whenever I pass the cute little baby things... I think that is so cute that you call it a babygrow in england... I think we may have some left over pain meds that are still good, I'll take them to the vet so they can tell me the right dosage for Alice. I am interested to find out how much she weighs, she'll be nearly 6 months by the 29th. I feel less anxious about the whole thing now.... Thanks everyone!
:thnku:

Tawna

Back