• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Frontline plus dosage

jgponder

My vet suggests that I give one packet of Frontline Plus to each dog, monthly. One is 12#, other is #26. This is what I have been doing for the last year on the #26. We only just got the 12# and she has only had one treatment. Now I keep reading in the dog magazines that one packet should last up to 6 months for most breeds. Am I giving it to often? We do walk on the beach and bike paths and they have never had fleas or ticks. I want them to be protected, but not over medicated.

How often do you apply?

Jane, mom to Alex & Emma

Hello! I worked for a vet for nearly 3 years and we got lots of info from the Merial rep about Frontline Plus... (Merial makes all Frontline.) For the Frontline Plus to be working at 100% you need to re-apply it about every month. Beyond a month it begins to decrease in effectiveness. Personally we have 5 dogs and we apply it about every 6 -7 weeks. We have never seen a flea or tick on any of our dogs and our oldest dog is 8. We do live in a subdivision with no woods, just a few trees. We do however do occasional trips to the dog park, where I sure there is exposure to fleas, etc. We live in Missouri, USA, where it is cold enough in the winters that we don't have to use Frontline for a few months. We usually start it in March and give the last dose sometime in late October/early Nov. Remember for it to work your dog shouldn't get wet 2 days before or after application. We bath our dogs, wait about 2 days or so, make sure it's not supposed to pour down rain in the next 2 days, then do the Frontline! It sounds funny to check and make sure it's not going to rain but we have actually had our Irish Setter's Frontline get ruined by a rain drenching! It needs 2 days to completely absorb into their skin, it is distributed all over their body in their sevacous (spelling?) glands in their skin. That is my Frontline tutorial for today, hope it was helpful! Haha... :rolleyes:

Tawna

I've never used it.... I bought a package that sits unused in the cabinet. Never had fleas-- I've picked off about 6 ticks/year.

The package insert actually says it's good for 3 months. The only exception to this would be if you live in a highly infested area. I only treat my dogs every 2 months, and since I live in IL where it get plenty cold in the winter I don't treat then. I put it on them in April, June, Aug., Oct. I've never seen a flea on them. (y)

One time when we had our lab,i missed one month of stronghold,and he was covered in fleas.So it needs to be done every month,i put it on the calander as soon as i give it to Archie.Its a good reminder.

I find every three months works for us with either frontline or stronghold.
Earmites worry me more than fleas or ticks.
Sins

My lot get done with either Stronghold, Frontline or Advantage, all depending on which is easiest to get my hands on, every 6(ish) weeks. I also stick it on the calender (usually they have stickers with them) because I would never remember it otherwise (not to mention worming!)

harleyfarley - Isn't Drontal a wormer? Or does it cover fleas too? :confused:

If I remember correctly from my Frontline using days, it lasts up to 3 months for fleas, but needs to be applied monthly for ticks. As far as I know Stronghold (which I use now) needs to be applied monthly, but we apply it about every 6 weeks or so, and don't seem to have a flea problem.:xfngr:

Thanks for all the feed back, I think I will hold back a little and give every 6-7 weeks or so. I also just read in Dog Fancy Magazine this morning that cinnamon on their food each day will repel ticks & fleas and dogs love the taste. Anyone ever here of this?

Jane, mom to Alex & Emma

That makes for very intresting reading!:eek:
We rarely have a flea problem,if I recall she only picked up fleas on one occasion. How do you prevent them from picking up earmites Sandy and what do you do to keep the ears clean?
Sins

That makes for very intresting reading!:eek:
We rarely have a flea problem,if I recall she only picked up fleas on one occasion. How do you prevent them from picking up earmites Sandy and what do you do to keep the ears clean?
Sins

We got earmites here once on a couple of my dogs. It was two weeks after I picked up three rescues from a byb who couldn't sell them. They were in bad shape. My vet gave me tresaderm to use in the ear. This stuff must be kick butt strong-- because in a week the dogs that were infected were clear. That was our only 'mite' infestation issue.

Back