• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to stop a dog from jumping

Love my Cavaliers

Oliver, my 8 year old blenheim, just had x-rays and saw an orthopedic surgeon because he had started whimpering when he jumped onto the bed or sofas. His regular vet put him on Metacam until he could see the ortho guy and it really seemed to help. No more yelping. Unfortunately, the x-rays showed several bulging discs in his back as well as arthritis in his hips. He advised Metacam as needed for pain, glucosamine and chondroitin (125-175 mg) supplements, and no jumping for the rest of his life. I guess the danger in jumping is that he could rupture a disc and become weak and/or paralyzed and then it's a real emergency to have surgery. So - how do I stop him from jumping when my three others all jump onto the furniture? I'd rather not have to stop all of them from jumping. Thanks for your help.

Hi, the poor wee thingin...hope he will be ok...:shock: What id try ( and this can be hassle), but as the others love to jump and naturally ur not gonna stop them , is be ready for liftin ur little oliver up and down...yes...i know its a bit of a pain, but it can be done (tried and tested)...thats my only bit of advce, that way, he not left out...when they are unsupervised id siggest havin a safe area where there is nothin to jump on or off....hope this helps a little...goodluck and hope oliver gets well soon :eek:

ahhh - poor boy. I had to stop Mindy from jumping for about 10 days when she hurt her back (jumping) and it wasn't easy so I do feel your pain. Since this is a long term thing you might want to try the doggie stairs - we have one set by our bed. Mindy uses them to go up but really prefers to jump down. I try and lift her down whenever I can because our bed is high and she is 11 but most times Miss Independent just goes to the opposite side of the bed that I'm on when she sees I'm ready to leave the room and jumps down anyway.

So I'd try stairs in combination with being ready to give Oliver a boost when required.

Hi Bev. Does he want to jump? If he does then I think I would try the stairs. If that doesn't work then since he can really hurt himself I think you're going to almost have to treat him like he's had the sm surgery in regards to jumping. If you can't supervise him then crate etc. I'm sorry. You've certainly had more than your share of carpola.

I agree with Linda - buy some pet stairs. Ilsa still won't use hers but we really haven't trained yet. He'll soon see he's more comfortable and use them of his own free will (so I've been told).

Jen and Ilsa

We have stairs at our couch and bed for Shelby. It was easy to train her to use them (with the help of yummy treats) and we've also gotten Jake into the habit of using them. It's just best if they don't jump on and off the furniture.

Are there any stairs that any one really likes? Are cloth/fabric covered ones better because they're less slippery? If anyone has a website for great stairs please let me know. Thanks

Bev: Is your husband handy? George is in the midst of making one so I can get back to my own bed someday. We're both getting lonely sleeping alone --well with dogs only--lol. He did one really quickly last weekend--it was just a ramp but I said I think it needed a square platform for her to go on first. We had new wood floors put in last December and had the stairs carpeted so we have lots of carpet leftover. I know somebody posted on here about how they loved these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-tall-Ramp-Dog-steps-Cat-furniture-Pet-stairs-New_W0QQitemZ320359799294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320359799294&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

We're doing something similar except adding a platform on the top and yep it will take alot of room. Would be good for your bed but sure not for your couch. I'll take a picture when George completes it. HOpefully this weekend as I'm getting sick of sleeping on the floor.

Back