• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Something to Chew On?

Shivers

Can anybody recommend a chew treat that would keep the dogs busy for a while?
They dont get a huge amount of treats but anything I have tried from the supermarket gets eaten in no time!
Only Prince is bothered about using a kong and he even seems to clear that out in no time. I will definitely be looking for freezer recipes to keep him busy for longer

Have you tried the kong ball/cube?? It keeps my Ellie amused for ages. I put a puppy marabone in the centre , and it takes her ages to get it out. Good for the teeth too. If I give her the ordenary Kong,I pop a few low fat treets or veg in, squeeze a bit of Kong paste in, and put it in the freezer. That makes it last longer... Hope this helps.(y)

We use the frozen kong with some kibble and yogurt. Max also enjoys chewing on his rope toys and scented nylabones.

We may get some negatives here but for long lasting chews you can't beat real bones! Go to a butcher and ask for bones for the dog - make sure they are nice solid thick beef bones - even better with marrow inside. Some go raw but Ilsa prefers hers boiled. Then give them to the dog, Ilsa is a slow chewer but one lasts her almost 2 months. They are also cheap - about 2 euro for a huge long lasting treat.

Jen and Ilsa

When Abbey had her sm surgery 7 weeks ago I was pretty frazzled at times and felt like I was being ripped apart as I had three other dogs that wanted my attention and I felt Abbey needed me more than the other 3 did. I bought some of those flavored rawhide deals and they were in heaven. I kept giving them to them and they were in absolute heaven and out of my hair. It sure helped is an understatement. Saved my sanity in fact.

We may get some negatives here but for long lasting chews you can't beat real bones! Go to a butcher and ask for bones for the dog - make sure they are nice solid thick beef bones - even better with marrow inside. Some go raw but Ilsa prefers hers boiled. Then give them to the dog, Ilsa is a slow chewer but one lasts her almost 2 months. They are also cheap - about 2 euro for a huge long lasting treat.

Jen and Ilsa

i'm confused why negative?

Peaches LOVES pig's ears. she doesnt get them very often as they are very fatty.

some people think they are not safe, but if it's big thick and solid I've never had a problem. Also raw beef bones carry e-coli! So we boil!

Jen and Ilsa

Holly loves her kong bone with a little doggie cookie stuffed inside, keeps her happy for ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

I had always given rolled pigskin chews to Pixie, and still give those to Kaya and Lad, but Bandit bites off huge chunks and tried to swallow them. After a near-choking scare with Bandit (I literally had to flop him down on his side and forcefully "heimlick maneuver" his lungs to get it out...he was choking to death) and then the risk of them getting an impaction of they swallow it in big chunks, I stopped giving any kind of rawhide or pigskin. (the crunchy pig ears seem to be okay, but they eat them too fast)
SOOO all that said to get to this. I find cow hooves to be great, long-lasting and the safest choice for Bandit. They do, however stink like a cow patty while they are wet (being chewed on), especially the first few times they chew on them. Basically, they will need to be thrown away since it is impossible for a cav. to completely eat them. My Kaya (malamute mix) can eat one, but it takes her about an hour (and that from a dog who can eat a pigskin rawhide twist in about 3 minutes)

I can't give any long-lasting chew toys to my group. Oz gets very food aggresive and will go after Riley or Maddie's treats even if he's not finished with his. Riley will let him have it, but Madison will fight him for it. After breaking up 2 fights I said no more. Oliver is the patriarch and Oz respects him and won't ever go near his treats. If I wanted to give them any kind of real chew toy - kongs included - I would have to put them each in a crate.

My Riley is a very strong chewer. I won't give Rawhide because I had a bad experience with another dog of mine. I do give him the Kongs and natural bones stuffed with treats. I recently gave him a bully stick and it was by far his most favorite thing to chew. It too stinks a little while they are chewing it. I let him have it for about 1/2 hour and then I take it away. It lasts a long time and seems to satify his need to chew.
Pat & Riley 2 1/2 yr. male B&T New Jersey

Bully Sticks

Sully, my 7 month blenheim can chew through any toy in about 10 minutes. I discovered the Bully stick on another website and they are lifesaver. They are rather costly at $4.00-$ 5.00 for the braided nine inch but it takes him a few days to chew one!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

Back