• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help please!

mollycharlie

Just recently got the most gorgeous cavalier puppy... I absolutely adore him but have a problem... i think i am allergic to him... since i got him my nose and throat have been itchy and my eyes are watery... Is there any shampoos that I could get for him that would reduce the dander and may help me ... Please help!!!!!:confused: Any advise would be great:paw:

Hi mollycharlie, welcome on board. This is a great forum and you will get lots of good advice.
I can't personally offer you any advice, but I'm sure someone here will.
Can I suggest that you post again in the 'general discussion' section, I think this particular section is to do with a breeder and MRI's and might not be read by many people. :)

I've moved your thread to the general discussion forum.

I recommend Zyrtec, an over-the-counter allergy drug that used to be prescription. Or ask your doctor for a recommendation.

Allergies can come and go, according to my hubby's allergist.

I have a friend who is allergic to dogs and cats, yet she is able to live comfortably with them by taking Zyrtec. Claritin also works well for many people and is over the counter here in the US.
Good luck!

A good oatmeal shampoo also tends to help reduce the dander by keeping their skin (not coat) nice and healthy allowing for less dead skin.:snap::snap::snap::snap::snap:

Washing the dog is very important as is a clutter free house that you can Hoover regularly. I am slightly allergic to my two. I have no carpet and leather furniture and Hoover the kitchen everyday and wipe down the countertops. I have been able to manage mine as a result and don't take any medication. Also make sure the Hoover has a hepa filter otherwise you're going to send the dancer flying all over the house. Good luck and let us know how you're getting on. It may take time for your body to adjust.

Getting a hepa filter for the house would also be a good idea. It also helps to keep him professionally groomed, so you don't have as much stray hair to brush off yourself. I'd make sure the groomer does a full grooming and brushes as much of the loose hair off as possible.

I've heard of anti-dander shampoos for cats, they may sell them for dogs as well.

Jen and Ilsa

Hi

I had the same problem when I first got Rex a year ago. After we got him my eyes swelled up and were itching and sneezing etc and my asthma got really bad. I took anti histimine tablets for a few days and then forgot about them and was fine. He is bathed regulary and is brushed every other day and I hoover every day. He sleeps on our bed and I get no adverse reation to him.

Maybe you just need to get in a routine of washing and hoovering and you will be fine like me. Give it a go but take anti histimine tablets just to make sure.

Hope that helps.

Sal

Here's another vote for Zyrtek. My husband is highly allergic to cats (not being able to breathe allergic) and also allergic to dogs but on a much milder level. He takes Zyrtek every day and can live with 4 dogs now. When he forgets to take it, he begins to wheeze, have a scratchy throat, itchy eyes, etc. Works like a charm for him.

Possibly changing to a shampoo that is low in allergens might help. I always take my own shampoo and conditioner to groomers as I've found that her shampoos set off my allergies.

Back